Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Brain Berries


You may sometimes ask yourself, “How did Writinggal get to be so smart?” I’ll tell you, I wasn’t always so wise. Back in August I learned a great tip from my dear friend, Oprah: Eat Blueberries.

Well, it wasn’t Oprah who said it actually. I think it was Dr. Perricone. You know, the guy who makes the promises? He was on her show and he pointed out all these foods we should eat (like salmon which Oprah and I like to call “Sammy”).

He also said that blueberries are great for your brain. So I decided to incorporate the little smurfy fruits into my daily routine. And what better time to eat them than when I’m hanging out with Oprah?

So now every day I have my Oprah snack. This includes a cup of blueberries and two graham crackers. They’re so freakin’ good on graham crackers.

I buy them at Costco. Natch, it’s a big ‘ol bag but I eat them every day so it’s totally necessary (like Frank’s poop tarts). And get this—they’re organic! I am so Leo DiCaprio right now.

Yesterday while I was having my Oprah snack I watched about ten minutes of an Oprah rerun. (By the way, I hate watching Oprah reruns—even if I’ve never seen them before. Another blog).But I watched this one from 2004 because they were featuring another doctor doing pretty much the same show and again singing the praises of blueberries! And there I was eating my blueberries with my graham crackers! I said to the TV, “I know! I’m eating blueberries! See?”

Anyway, since eating these blueberries has made me such a brain I wanted to share their magical powers with you.

And get this; they do more than just make you smarter. They also…

Lower your cholesterol
Protect against cancer
Protect against stroke
Lower your risk for heart disease
Protect against Urinary Tract Infections (yuck)

Plus, they’re low in calories and high in fiber. And you know I love me some fiber!

I know all the kids are digging on the Crystal Meth these days but I’m telling you, blueberries are so much better! And they won’t give you that nasty skin fungus or a stint in rehab.

So pick up a bag. And pick up your brain. Oh my gosh, that should so be their new slogan!

(Blueberry farmers: Don’t steal that. You will need to go through my legal team first.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does it still count if you eat BBs in muffins?

I also hate watching reruns of talk shows, Jay Leno, Letterman. They are like the news, they are suppose to be live or at least the same day!

ReadBecca said...

Since I'm being French I can't eat fruit out of season. I bought some strawberries last week, had a couple bites and threw them away. They tasted like crap. How are your blueberries this time of year?

Writinggal said...

Muffins: you still get the benefits of the blueberries but you have the added calories of the muffin. It's better than, let's say, a chocolate muffin.

French: Well, I buy mine frozen so they're fine. Summer is best for blueberries though.

Did you also know they can reduce signs of aging? They are my best friends these guys.

Jessi said...

They can also slow down vision loss and preserve eye health. And as much as wine is a cardioprotective agent, blueberries have almost 40% more of those free radical absorbing antioxidants than wine.

This advertisement is brought to you by my student loans. Money well spent.

Writinggal said...

Blueberries may be my best friend. But wine is a close second.

Anonymous said...

Reduce the signs of aging??? Count me in!

ReadBecca said...

The first six blueberries don't count. They're all water.

Anonymous said...

Someone needs to commission a national study on the effect that blueberries have on the human body. I bet they cause cancer somewhere down the line. They just sound too good to bo true.

Writinggal said...

Oh, that Scott. Always the optimist!