Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2006

MLK Would be So Proud

When people get the day off from work, sleep in, sit around in their underwear and watch talks shows, well, that is just a beautiful tribute to the person we’re honoring, isn’t it? Sure, Dr. King would get a kick out of the parades and the newsmagazine tributes but beyond that I think he would say:

“What’s the deal, people? I worked hard and fought for civil rights! That doesn’t mean you should just sit around and be lazy! If anything, you should have to go to work on my day. I’m part of the reason for Equal Opportunity Employment!”

So in honor of Dr. King, I am writing my blog today. Yes, it’s a little late but I figured most of you weren’t up yet anyway.

Don’t get me wrong, I love me a good holiday. But it’s not like I’m going to strive to get one named after me. It’s tough competition. I mean we can only have so many holidays. And most are already taken—President’s Day, Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day, Columbus Day, Labor Day…what’s a gal gotta do to get one of these things?

I think maybe we should recycle some of them. Take Columbus Day for example. Sure, we’re glad he found America and all but it was over 500 years ago. Would anybody really get their feelings hurt if we swapped him out for, I don’t know, Oprah?

And Labor Day…why waste a day on such a general topic when we have people who are working hard to get days named after them? How ‘bout Baby Jessica Day instead? We’d all still get the first Monday in September off from work AND we’d learn about well safety! Then people would say, “I gotta go back to school after Baby Jessica Day” or “Oh, it’s Baby Jessica Day. That means summer’s over!” or “Wanna come over and cook out for Baby Jessica Day? Just don’t stand near the well!”

So even if you’re not working today, maybe you could still do something nice in honor of Dr. King. It can be a little gesture like taking your cart all the way back inside the store, throwing away your trash and someone else’s at the movie theater or calling your grandmother and saying, “What’s up?” Come on, if you do this you don’t have to do anything nice again until Oprah Day.

3 comments:

Jessi said...

Today is a day off?

Writinggal said...

Sorry, Jess. I guess they don't care about civil rights in Vegas.

Jessi said...

you've seen this place! People drink AT work!