Search This Blog

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Breakfast Babble



I may follow lots of rules but here’s one area where I’m completely liberal…practically a free-spirited, bra-burning, hippie type: I will eat any type of food at any time of day.

To me, it’s never “too early” for typical dinner fare like hamburgers, lasagna or sandwiches. In fact, you know that up until I was like 27, I ate sandwiches for breakfast every day. I don’t get it when people say, “Oh, that doesn’t sound good right now.” If it sounds good at noon, it sounds good at dawn!

And anytime’s a good time to eat chocolate.

So when I convinced Frank to have breakfast for dinner the other night, he was a little skeptical. But when we started flipping the blueberry pancakes and filling up our omelets, he had a blast. He kept saying, “This is so fun!” We almost added screwdrivers to the mix but we didn’t have any vodka.

Hey, I have a question for you: Did you ever have breakfast for dinner when you were growing up? Did your parents tell you it was because it was fun? I was talking to people about this awhile back and someone said that parents just say it’s fun but really it's just cheap! It’s true; eggs are quite economical. This one guy was like, “They said Spam was fun too!”

Could this be a bigger ruse than Santa Clause?

I don’t care because I DO think it’s fun. And what’s better than cheap fun?

Speaking of cheap fun, have you heard of making an omelet in a Ziploc bag? I got this link about it from Hungry-Girl. I tried it and of course I screwed it up on my first attempt so I’ll let you in on the secret: don’t use a freezer-size bag. The bag was too big for the pot and folded over it. That meant the plastic hit the side and the hot pot burned a hole in it! I had to start over with a sandwich bag but it was good.

But you know what would have made it really good? A screwdriver.
No, it was 1:00 on a Monday! I’m not that crazy of a hippie.

(This photo was actually taken during a real brunch. I thought I'd fess up in case you noticed the light outside.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think my parents still occationally have breakfast for dinner. My theory is because it's my dad that cooks breakfast in our house so maybe it was an easy out for my mom to avoid having to cook dinner?

Either way it was really good! I find myself having waffles for dinner every now and then thanks to the toaster Writinggal got me!

Anonymous said...

I love breakfast for dinner! Especially cereal or breakfast tacos!
Must try the omelet in a ziploc bag, sounds interesting.

Writinggal said...

In Frank's family his dad was always in charge of breakfast too. He puts jelly on his pancakes which I think is awesome.

I'm off to have my lunch omelet now!

Anonymous said...

I love breakfast for dinner! We actually had a breakfast themed book club that was really fun. But, it might have been the mimosas :)

Writinggal said...

That reminds me that we had a Granbury Girls breakfast event. How could I forget the Pajama Jammy Jam? We also had mimosas.