Search This Blog

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Ode to the Omelet

I’m over smoothies. I’ve moved on to the omelet.

“But Writinggal, an omelet and a smoothie are not even in the same genre!”

Oh, but they are. To me, they’re both smorgasbords and I LOVE a good smorgasbord. You see, ever since my palette change I like to eat foods that involve a lot of, well, food.

So with the smoothie I had the blender and I could take anything from the fridge and throw it in there: bananas, yogurt, milk, Kashi, strawberries, blueberries, cherries, flax seed, ice, orange juice. I’d really just stand in front of the fridge and think, “Hmmm…could I put some pimento cheese in there?” It was like the blender was my blank canvas.

Now it’s like the eggs (or Egg Beaters—had to switch because I was eating so many) are my blank canvas. I think it started when I went to brunch with my sister in Houston and the place had a salmon omelet. I was like, “You can put salmon in an omelet? That’s freaking awesome.” It also had this green, creamy dressing on it which reminded me of my fave Green Goddess dressing. So when I got home I tried to reenact it.

I decided to add green onions because I put them on everything.

(Quick Sidebar: I used to not know what green onions were. When a recipe called for them I would go to the onion section and say, “White, yellow, red…I guess they’re out of green.” Frank was with me one time and I told them how they were always out of green. Then when I was on another aisle he came over and was holding these long, green-bean looking things and said, “Elsa, the sign said that THESE were green onions!” We were both perplexed. When I got them home, cup them up and caught a whiff of them, I called my mom and said, “So this is what’s in chicken salad!” Now I consume a bushel a week. Do they come in bushels?)

So after the green onions I added cheese and jalapeños …and of course my canned salmon. It was, as Rachael Ray would say, yum-o.

And when I like something I have to eat it every day. So I started adding to it: basically, any vegetable that I had in the fridge I would throw in: onions, mushrooms, zucchini, celery, tomatoes…I really wanted to incorporate my spinach leaves so I put them on the bottom:




My omelet gets so big I can barely fold it! Yesterday I got really adventurous and threw in baby carrots--not completely awesome in an omelet.

Tips from Thea asked me yesterday, “Would you ever throw in some leftover lasagna?” Don’t be silly, TfT…but I might throw in some ricotta cheese…or maybe some ground beef…and the tomato sauce wouldn’t be bad. Okay, a lasagna omelet would be pretty yum-o actually!

But a lasagna smoothie? I’d have to draw the line.

Unless it had green onions in it.

6 comments:

Liz said...

That omelette looks DARN good! And I don't even like anything you put in there... GOOOOOO CookingGal!

Anonymous said...

I think it looks good too!! Can you come over and start cooking me breakfast every morning??

Writinggal said...

Thanks, gals. TfT, I will come over and make you an omelet from everything in your kitchen. I hope you like Kashi Omelets.

Mmmm...Kashi omelets...

Jessi said...

Canned Salmon eh? I might have to try it. Oh and your omelet looks yummy.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...An omelet out of my supplies would consist of Kashi, Milk, grated cheese and a drizzle of Grape Propel. Nevermind, I'll get back to you after I start utilizing the grocery store more wisely. I hear they sell veggies there.

Writinggal said...

Jessi-be sure to read my blog about salmon and make sure you get the wild kind.

TfT: I thought for sure you'd be prepared for a PB&J omelet!