Search This Blog

Monday, August 28, 2006

Have you met my new palette?

My new food palette likes everything. This includes things that my old palette detested: mustard, broccoli, salads, sushi…it would take fourteen blogs to list ‘em all.

But in 2004 I got a new palette. Brother-in-law David’s girlfriend Laura calls these two eras of my life “Pre-Palette-Change” and “Post-Palette-Change.”

Here is what life was like Pre-PC:

1982-1995:
WG’s mom: Just tell me what you’ll eat and I’ll make it for you! Please EAT SOMETHING!

WG: I just want macaroni and cheese. Can’t I just have that every night? Oh, and mash potatoes?

WG’s mom: I wish you would eat something green. What if I mix it up in a dish?

WG: No, no green. And I don’t want one of your “dishes.” (i.e casserole).


1995-1999
WG’s roommates: What are you eating? It looks weird.

WG: It’s just a T.V. dinner. What’s weird about that?

WG’s roommates: Well, it’s called a “Kid’s Cuisine” and you’re 19. And why are you putting it on bread?

WG: I’m making a sandwich out of it! Everything is better as a sandwich!


1999-2004

WG’s co-workers: Wanna go eat at Baja Fresh?

WG: Nah. I don’t like that place.

WG’s co-workers: Oh, you don’t like Baja-style Mexican food?

WG: No. It’s the “fresh” part that turns me off.



So basically, back then I only liked sandwiches. And cheesy poofs. And queso.


Life Post-PC:

In 2004 I became a vegetarian for 40 days and 40 nights (Lent). Frank said, “You’re the only vegetarian I know who doesn’t like vegetables.” I thought I could live on cheese and bread and beans. It wasn’t that different from what I normally ate. But one day I had spinach lasagna. And then spinach enchiladas. And then…I think I actually ate a salad. I LIKED other things!

Ever since then (even though I eat meat now) I’ve been daring when it comes to food…trying sushi, all kinds of vegetables and even pickles!

This weekend I was telling some college pals that I don’t even have bread in my house. “Then how do you make sandwiches out of your spaghetti?” they asked. “I don’t!” They thought someone had snatched my body. Nope. Just my palette!

The best part of my new palette is playing the game “Name something that you think I won’t like and I bet I do…”

Here are popular ones:
Olives? They’re all right on pizza.
Liver? I don’t think I’ve ever had it but I would try it!
Anchovies? I don’t think I’ve had that either.

Okay, so that game would be more fun if I could remember more of them but try me; I’m like a circus act: The girl who will eat anything!

I’m much more fun to take to restaurants, at dinner parties and at Whole Foods cooking classes. Feel free to invite me to any of them.

And to my mom, feel free to send me recipes for your “dishes.” I missed out on them in the Pre-PC years and I’ve got a lot of eating to do to make up for it!

5 comments:

Jessi said...

You used to gross me out with your cheese sandwiches (it prolly had turkey on it or something like that) cause you'd leave it in the car to get all melted.

I'm surprised you never got sick!

Anonymous said...

How many times did we eat out 1999-2004 and did I hear this:

"I'll have an order of queso, a side of beans and some tortillas"

The standard WG tex-mex meal, pre-PC.

Writinggal said...

J: I didn't leave it in my car on purpose BUT if I did leave it and then eat it later, it was really good!!

T: I really just wanted a bean and cheese burrito so I had to settle for making my own. Believe it or not, it is a really difficult thing for some Mexican restaurants. Sometimes I would say "I want the chicken burrito without the chicken."

Jessi said...

Yummm, bean burritos! I know what I'm having for lunch. :)

Anonymous said...

You have come a long way from having to have the crust cut off bread!
Of course I am one to talk. I hate veggies, unless they are in a "dish"!