Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What's With Walgreens? Part II

It’s been almost a year since I unleashed my wrath on Walgreens. I know I vowed not to go there anymore but I caved…Did you know you could email them pictures and they’ll print them out for like $.19? I love it.

Also, I started using their pharmacist as my general doctor. I’ll act like I’m there to buy some OTC drug and then I’ll casually ask, “So do you think these drops will help my ear?” And then he’ll say, “What’s wrong with your ear?” Bam. I’ve got a free consultation. Plus, I know from my pharmacist sister-in-law that they own those ear-light thingies AND stethoscopes! Why waste a $20 co-pay?

So anyway, I ran in there last night to get a few things (including a giant gallon size of Listerine for like, nothing) and to ask my doctor (I mean the pharmacist) why Neosporin gives me a rash. I got in line to pay and of course, the make-up counter girl tries to steal us away to her counter. Why would I walk all the way over there when I’m positioned here, right by the door?

I stayed in the regular line and then Jessica checked me out. She made me uneasy but I couldn’t figure out why. Then she asked me, “Would you like two Pay Days? They’re only two for $1!” Just as I was saying, “No, thanks,” I thought to myself, she REALLY wants me to buy those Pay Days. Does she make commission on them? Then she added (pathetically), “Are you sure? They’re really good.” Okay, now I KNOW you’re working on commission, Jessica. What’s the deal? (Again, didn’t say this out loud.)

She fessed up anyway: “It’s just that if I don’t sell 15 of these by the time I leave, my boss will yell at me.”

“Yikes,” I said (still not offering to buy any).

“I’ve only sold eight,” she said.

“Well, that’s pretty good!” I told her.

“No,” she said. “I was supposed to sell 15 yesterday but I only sold seven. So today I had to sell the difference of what I didn’t sell yesterday plus 15 more.”

“Man,” I said. “They’re ruthless here at Walgreens.”

Jessica looked startled and quickly said, “Oh, I love working here. It’s a great job!”

Then she turned to the next lady in line and asked, “Would YOU like two Pay Days? They’re only two for $1! They’re really good!”

I know what you’re thinking. I should have helped poor Jessica out and bought the damn Pay Days. But don’t you see? That would only encourage the suits at Walgreens to keep up these strange selling tactics.

And by the way, even if they are going to force their employees to push things, shouldn’t they give them a little more training in how to deal with customers? You don’t TELL the customers that you’re going to get in trouble. That’s the second time in my life I’ve had a Walgreens employee spill their guts to me about their fear of their boss. Isn’t that odd?

Or is that all in the Walgreens Grand Plan?

I’m not sure. But I do know that my ear is acting up again so I’ll probably go over there to see my doctor soon. I’ll ask him what he thinks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That stresses me out that they have push candy bars!

Writinggal said...

I want to send them an email about it but I have to list the store details and I don't want to get Jessica in trouble.

Anonymous said...

I got the same sort of pressure at my Walgreens, but the girl behind the counter said she makes some sort of commission if she sells enough of them!! All I could think was how small that commission must be on a 50 cent candy bar.

Writinggal said...

And if you told her that she'd probably say, "But I love my job here at Walgreens!" It's freaky I tell you.

Wendy said...

The same thing happens at my Walgreens. Only the cashier is always this little old guy named Ruey. I imagine he's a widowed retiree who doesn't get much social security money and lives at home with his cat. He's always so polite and pleasant that I'm suckered into buying whatever he's pushing. I bought a package of DD batteries last week that I have no use for.
Anthing to save Ruey.

Tony, the Restless Foodie said...

I have visions of Nepolean D as I picture poor Jessica trying to push her Pay Days - so funny!