Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Elsa Show


If I see you and I start to babble, forgive me. I work alone at Writinggal headquarters all day so when I go out to dinner or talk to someone on the phone, I pretty much explode.

Thea called yesterday on her way home from work and I immediately launched into “Brown Eyed Girl,” an homage to yesterday’s blog. But before she could even tell me why she was calling, I continued with ramblings of the day’s events, anecdotes and gossip.

Uh-oh. She hadn’t even bought a ticket and I was putting on “The Elsa Show.”

This is what Frank calls my little routine of sorts. I usually do The Elsa Show when we go to dinner with a group of people. I guess I just have to be the center of attention so I tell lots of stories, babble and under no circumstances do I let Frank speak.

When we visited friends in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago I even bragged about my ability to sing all fifty prepositions---“The Preposition Song,” I call it. Naturally, our dinner companions requested that I perform the song at the table. Which I did.

"Aboard, About, Above, Across, After..."



And later Shel Silverstein came up and I just had to perform my second grade talent show act which was the poem “Clarence.”

Here I’m saying “spray to make his hair look wetter…”





To be fair, our friend also recited “Homework, oh homework, I hate you, you stink…”

But then the next night I did the preposition song AGAIN. And then when I was telling the story at book club about how I recited the preposition song, they requested it and I did it a THIRD time.

I have to stop. I told Frank as much. He said, “That’s okay. You’re just doing The Elsa Show.”

It’s a variety show, really. I do monologues, I sing…I even dance (anyone seen my “hey boys” jig?) Right now I do the show for free to people who don’t even ask. Soon, though, as my fame continues to rise, I’ll have to start charging. Don’t worry; ticket prices will be reasonable—unless you want the preposition song. Something that good is gonna cost ya.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happen to enjoy The Elsa Show. It's a great way to unwind after work. I tend to have Show withdrawl when I vacation, wish I could Tivo it...

Writinggal said...

Well I appreciate that. But if you Tivo it while you're away then you have to spend like a whole day catching up! It can be a really long show!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy the Elsa Show as well, it makes our morning walk fly by. We don't count when we lunge because it's hard to count and talk (Elsa)/listen(Cul de sac Carrie) at the same time so we just lunge at the same spot, same distance.

Anonymous said...

Yes, but I can FF my Tivo. ;)

Anonymous said...

I have been a faithful viewer of the "Elsa Show" for almost 30 years.
The cool thing is there are always new episodes, no boring reruns.

Writinggal said...

And now I have my new catch phrase, "Deed ju like my story?" that I learned from Kristin's friend who is also named Elsa (who does a Spanish version of the show).

Anonymous said...

"El Show de Elsa en Espanol" is very entertaining too.

Maybe you could market it to other countries, and there could be subtitles or better yet your voice dubbed!

ReadBecca said...

My favorite is the entire opening routine to "Blossom."