Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Casper Marry Background Law

That’s what I used to think Van Morrison was saying in “Brown Eyed Girl.” Turns out he was saying “Cast my memory back there, lord.” I like mine better.

And no matter what he’s saying, I think that song is stupid.

Oh, I was still dancing and singing along when it came over the muzak at Whole Foods last night, but I still think it’s stupid.

Why? Because 75% of people in the world have brown eyes! So what’s so special about this “brown-eyed girl?” Nothing! Yet whenever the song comes on, some brown-eyed female will say, “Oh, that song’s about me!” Yeah, you and 70 billion other people.

Whenever the song comes on I tell Frank about my issue. I always say, “He might as well say ‘my girl who breathes oxygen.’ ”

We then usually try to come up with other topics Van could sing about:

“My pizza-loving girl”
“My girl who wears blue jeans”
“My three-meal-a-day girl”
“My shoulder-length-haired girl”
“My girl with eyebrows” (now I would be left out of that one)
“My deodorant-using girl”
“My girl who likes to go to the mall”

I could go on and on but I always favor the oxygen one. Frank found a flaw in that one though: EVERYBODY breathes oxygen…but a lot of people have brown eyes. So it has to be something that a lot of people have but not necessarily everybody. He then came up with the best one of all:

“My girl whose social security number ends in an odd number”

I love it! And it goes so well with the song too:

Laughing and a-running, hey, hey, Skipping and a-jumping

In the misty morning fog with

Our, our hearts a-thumping

And you, my girl whose social security number ends in an odd number
You, my girl whose social security number ends in an odd number


Even though I think our version is better, I guess Mr. Morrison did make a good business decision. I mean, had he written a song called “my ambidextrous girl,” not as many people would be able to relate. Plus, who wants to get it on behind the stadium with that girl?

I think we're actually singing "Living on a Prayer" but we would do the same for B.E.G.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

as a green-eyed girl, i've always hated that song too! i would get paranoid when that song would come on the radio b/c most of my boyfriends had ex-girlfriends w/ brown eyes and i was convinced that was 'their song'... although i never confirmed this with any of them. thanks to your blog today, i can have a new outlook on the song i love to sing, but i hate deep deep down!

Anonymous said...

As a blue-eyed girl, I always thought boys must like brown eyes better.
I also did not like that song "Don't it make your Brown Eyes Blue", like having blue eyes was a bad thing.

ReadBecca said...

I love my blue eyes, even though they don't work so well. I'm ambivalent about getting them lasered some day because then I can't whip off my smart-girl glasses and stun some boy with the full effect sans corrective lense barricade. Yes, it's a cliche move, but honey, it freakin' WORKS.

And if your boyfriend is singing, he should be changing the lyrics to fit you anyway.

Writinggal said...

AR: Glad I could help! To me,having "brown eyed girl" as a couple song is as lame as having "I will always love you" by Mrs. Bobby Brown.

KK: Agree but I love me some Crystal Gayle!

RB: That is exactly why I haven't gotten Lasik yet.

To all, did you know green eyes are rarer than blue? I'm a greener like Amy.

Writinggal said...

Kristin sent this fun link which helps you calculate what colors eyes your kids will have.

http://museum.thetech.org/ugenetics/eyeCalc/eyecalculator.html

Frank and I will have green-eyed kids which isn't a surprise since we both have green eyes. Although his social ends in an odd # and mine ends in an even.

Anonymous said...

My eyes are blue sometimes and green other times. More often green. Anyone else's change?

Writinggal said...

Just from green to hazel

Anonymous said...

I always change the words to that song because Tami's eyes are blue. To be fair, I change the words to almost every song, it helps me remember them better.

Writinggal said...

TAMI, you don't have to put on the red light...

She puts on her make-up and brushes her shoulder-length, blondish-brownish hair...

Little ditty 'bout Scott and Tami...

Anonymous said...

tha't exactly what I do...it's almost as if you have been on a road trip with us!!!!

Writinggal said...

And stopped for kolaches and Blizzards on the way? I love Womack road trips!