Search This Blog

Monday, August 14, 2006

Cookinggal Takes on Coupons

Everyone knows we Simciks likes to save a buck but up until a couple of weeks ago, I had never clipped a coupon!

Was I too good for the coupon?
Did I not know where to find coupons?
Did I not own a pair of scissors?
Did I not know where to store and organize all the coupons?

All of the above. Well, except for the scissors part. I own a pair but they’re always upstairs when I’m downstairs and vice versa.

If I came upon a coupon I would put it in a drawer in the kitchen. Then when I would open the drawer to try and find something else, I would get frustrated that there were coupons floating around. I would check the expiration date and HOPE it had passed so I could throw it away.

Now that’s no way to use coupons!

Then I saw a story on the Today show about coupons. I don’t remember what they said exactly but it motivated me to go buy a little coupon organizer. Then the next Sunday, I made the trek upstairs, got my scissors and started clipping coupons out of the paper. I even made labels for my organizer: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks, Health & Beauty, Household items and Restaurants.

I couldn’t wait to go to the store and use my new tools. I was so giddy about it I told Cul de Sac Carrie. She said I should also check the grocery store ads that come in the mail.

“What’s the deal with those things, by the way?” I asked. “Do you have to clip out the specials or what? I just throw them away.”

She told me that you can plan your groceries around the ad. She picked up one and said, “Look. Here are red, seedless grapes for $.99 a pound. That’s a great deal.”

Ah! I pay $4.99 a pound!!

She showed me more specials in this miraculous grocery store ad. I quickly revised my list and headed off to the store.

I didn’t end up using any of my coupons but I did use the ad. The only thing was, a lot of times it said “10 for $10” and I didn’t want ten. But in some cases, like with yogurt, I got ten anyway. Oh, and it said “Two cantaloupes for $1.” I didn’t want two big old cantaloupes but what are you gonna do? The ad says you have to get two.

I told CC about this and she laughed and said, “You don’t HAVE to get ten! They’ll still give you the same price if you get one or two!”

Oops.

Now I know Frank wants to know how much money I saved using the ad. All I know is that I spent $63 and we ate for two weeks. Sort of. I did start running out of food towards the end. And once I ran to the store just to get milk and I spent $20.

But today I’m going back in, this time with an ad and my coupons! If it says “Ten for $10” I may get ten or I may get just four, who knows? I’m feeling crazy!

By the way, does anyone need nine packages of sliced cheese?

8 comments:

Liz said...

Um... so my one experience with coupons was in college. It was pretty much the one time I ever went to the grocery store (I ate out almost every meal in college even when I lived in the sorority house and paid for 3 meals a day. Ok, my parents paid for them)....

I clipped ALL these coupons for frozen meals and canned food and ice cream bars and all this stuff... but the problem was that most of my coupons were "buy X, get X free". So, I ended up spending about $175 at the store for MYSELF because I was buying twice or three times as much as I needed to get the X free. AND I didn't end up eating 2/3 of it. It was awesome slash not-awesome.

So, from now on, if I use a coupon it will only be a "cents off" coupon. Because I'm a russell.

Writinggal said...

Oh, I was about to fall for that too. I've got my coupons in an envelope and I'm about to head to the store. Wish me luck, Russell!

Writinggal said...

Also,

WHAT A SAD STORY!!

Anonymous said...

I hardly use coupons ever, but I did use one yesterday. I was with our mother at Target and she had one for cake mix and frosting!

I saved $.50!!

Anonymous said...

I like the coupons for cleaning supplies, paper towels, and toilet paper. Do you know about double and triple coupons? Remember the store ads run from Tuesday to Tuesday. My mom used to mail me coupons she knew I would use or if I was home and she was clipping we did it together. :)

Writinggal said...

I forgot about double and triple coupons! I think I need a consultation with Cul de Sac Carrie for that one!

Writinggal said...

I know--who needs ten loaves of bread?

Anonymous said...

Don't let the 10 for 10 fool you. Sometimes it is not a good deal. And, don't forget your card for them to swipe so you get the deals.
At Target one day an older gentleman said to wait so he could get his card to swipe so he could save.