Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Tales from the Fridge

I don’t know about you, but I love looking in other people’s fridges. When we were house hunting, that’s one thing I always did—open the fridge. I guess I felt like it gave me some insight into the person.

So what does my fridge say about me?


a). That I’m the mother to six hungry teenage boys?
b). That I’ve turned into my roommate circa 2000-2001?
c). That I’m hosting Thanksgiving tomorrow?

Trick question. The answer is actually “d” (“both b and c). Yes, I’m hosting Thanksgiving but I’ve also turned into my roommate. (If you’re reading this I’m not criticizing you. Promise.) She loved to cook and always had a full fridge like this. In fact, every time I opened it, I could count on something (or some things) falling out.

Yesterday that happened in my fridge. Every time Frank opened it this dip would fall out. That’s when I realized that I had morphed into her. Brought me back to 2000-2001.

Back then, at the turn of the century, I would have NEVER dreamed of hosting Thanksgiving. I wouldn’t even dream of making something for dinner besides a sandwich.

Enter Cookinggal 2006. I’ve already cleaned the house, set the table and made place cards. Of course, all I’ve managed to cook are 36 mini cheesecakes. I only had one muffin pan so they had to go in shifts. Now they’re hidden away in various nooks and crannies in my over-stocked fridge.

And every time I open it, a container of those darn mini cheesecakes falls out. Ah, to be 23 again.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Preparing Thanksgiving dinner for a hungry mob? "That can be your job."

Hungry Papa

Writinggal said...

We may not be able to look at Kramer in the same way but we still love our Seinfeld references!

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Anonymous said...

you're taking on quite a task! i have yet to ever host t-giving and now with a baby, forget about it!

but why are we wasting time talking about the holiday? i can't fully enjoy my meal until kelly ripa and clay aiken's feud is settled. i'm on team kelly! little clay aiken was totally in the wrong.

Writinggal said...

Since she is one of my BFFs, I am definitely on Team Kelly! And Rosie was way out of line with her allegations. A cold and clammy hand over your mouth is not cool; I don't care if you're gay or not.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Hey, I got to use that twice today.

Anonymous said...

I guess we will have to help you clean out the fridge. I am up for mini-cheesecake duty!
I am on Kelly's side too. It is just an invasion of personal space. Ok, maybe I wouldn't say anything if it was George Clooney! Rosie is wrong though, I would not let Mario Lopez put his hand over my mouth. I think he is Slimy Slater!

Writinggal said...

Agree. I don't care how good he dances, he cheated on the Doritos girl and there IS something wrong with that!

Anonymous said...

ha! too funny! mario lopez will ALWAYS be ac slater, no matter what! and i've always thought he was gay, even though he was married to the hot doritos girl AND cheated, with a girl. he would probably like the aiken's cold, clammy hands!

Writinggal said...

And now we've come full circle!