Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Bad Bakinggal: She’s BACK!

Well, it’s been almost a year since the Rolo Cookie Catastrophe of 2005 and it’s taking me about that long to muster up the courage to bake them again.

My motivation? A cookie exchange on Granbury Dr. that’s happening tonight. I was instructed to bake five dozen cookies, bring them, divide them up amongst the other girls and I would come home with several varieties of cookies. (Thankfully, I’m not in charge of the math formula.)

I was sure I could bake them correctly this time because I had all the right ingredients. I would not substitute. Plus, I would prepare ahead and make the dough on Sunday, bake them on Tuesday so if they didn’t turn out, I would have time to re-do.

As Cul de Sac Carrie said this morning, “It’s Re-Do Wednesday.”

That’s right. My cookies did not turn out! Look at them!


You might think they look okay but that’s only because you haven’t seen Mandy’s Rolo Cookies. First of all, hers are dark chocolate. Second of all, they don’t stick to the baking pan like mine do (and I even greased it!) And third of all (and most important), hers taste good!

So I had a cookie conference call with Mandy this morning. She made some suggestions. Instead of using cocoa in the blocks I need to buy the powdered kind. Instead of using butter I should try Crisco. And instead of using dark brown sugar I should use light brown. I had both kinds but since the recipe didn’t specify I went with dark because the cookies are dark. When I told Mandy my brown sugar rationalization she said, “Oh, you poor thing.”

After Frank tried them last night he said, “At what point do you just buy cookies to exchange?”

Never! I will not give up! I’m trying again today and I will succeed with the Rolo Cookies! And if that doesn’t work, well, who doesn’t like Chips Ahoy?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I get the rolo cookie recipe? David has a cookie exchange party coming up too. Hopefully I'll have some luck with the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Very important! I forgot to tell you that you need to buy some air bake cookie sheet pans. There is no comparison. They are the best. Just in time to ask Frank to get you this for Christmas!!

Jessi said...

I don't think I've ever used baking squares. I just know NOT to eat them :)

I hope everything works out. The only tip I have for you is make sure your butter is soft (not microwave soft). Makes things easier.

I have those air bake sheets and I LOVE them. Nothing burns.

Anonymous said...

You should have an airbake pan that I left at your house one New Years. They are awesome!!
Let us know what happens!

Writinggal said...

I'll email you the recipe, Laura.

Airbake pan: I'll look for that in my cabinets.

Soft butter: Got it.

Don't eat baking squares: Too late.

Anonymous said...

I have faith this next batch will be good! And if they are, save one for me! ;)

Writinggal said...

I'm about to try again. I will let you all know. Frank got lucky because the last batch was "mediocre" meaning not good enough to exchange but good enough for him to get to eat all of them!

Carrie said...

I do have to say that you look
m-a-d in the picture!! You'll do good this time!!