Search This Blog

Thursday, December 29, 2005

I said I'm Cookinggal, not Bakinggal



I think I've mastered this cooking thing. I just follow recipes. But now I'm so darn good that sometimes I substitute things. And when I get really crazy, I just add in things. Like last night I made King Ranch Chicken (thanks, Jenny Johansson) and I just threw in some jalapeños. Actually, it's usually jalapeños since we got that giant tub of them at Costco.


But apparently when you're baking, you can't do that. For instance, I attempted to make Mandy's rolo cookies the other day even though I lacked most of the ingredients (and a few baking brain cells).

Recipe called for "unsweetened cocoa." I thought Swiss Miss sugar free hot chocolate would work fine.

Recipe called for one cup sugar. I ran out of sugar after half a cup. Why not use 30 Splenda packets for the other half a cup? As I told Frank, "It says 'it's made from sugar so it tastes like sugar.' It's the same thing!" Nope.

Recipe called for butter. I used margarine.

Oh, and I just used the odor-absorbing Arm and Hammer box (which has been with us through two fridges) for baking soda.

After I slaved over these damn things for hours, Frank and I had the following conversation:

Elsa: "How do they taste?"
Frank: "Well, I guess I don't know how they're supposed to taste..."
Elsa: "What kind of answer is that? If they tasted good, you'd just say that they tasted good."
Frank: "They're not good."
Elsa: "Well, maybe you don't like rolos. Is it the rolo that makes it taste weird?"
Frank: "No, the rolo is the only part that tastes good. It's the part around the rolo that tastes bad." (i.e. the part that I made).

So it's not that big a deal that I screwed up Mandy's rolo cookies. It is a big deal that I chose to tackle my first baking recipe for Frank's work superiors and co-workers. I even bought these cute little Christmas bags to put them in. Frank didn't want to take them to work but he reluctantly agreed when he saw the bags. And the bows.

I think for me I need two chances with baking. Remember my double layer pumpkin pie I made for Thanksgiving?




Yes there are two layers but they're sort of layered together in one pumpkin pudding mess. Still tasted good.

But for Christmas I wanted to get that line between the layers. So I took the advice of Jessi (a friend and loyal blog reader) and put the pies in the freezer overnight. There was a bit of panic when they were still frozen a half hour before we were to have dessert. But after a quick visit to the oven, they looked like this:

Look at that line!! It's magnificent!

So I think I'll leave the baking to experts like Mandy. But I WILL attempt to make those rolo cookies again. This time I'll follow the recipe exactly. I won't even add in jalapeños.

8 comments:

ReadBecca said...

It's good that you're trying things out. That's the only way to learn how to cook. Everybody has to figure out the substitution trick the hard way. There are some things you can switch out, and some things you can't. Like love. You can't substitute margarine for that.

Anonymous said...

I am actually better at baking than cooking, I guess we got the opposite talents. I do have issues with the difference between baking "soda" and baking "powder". I have learned the hard way that there is a difference. I will try to make the rolo cookies and let you know what happens.

Jessi said...

I want this rolo cookie recipe! Is it something that we can share? I'll give you a baking recipe for it. It'll be a good trade that even Cookinggal can do.

Oh and margarine has a lot of water in it, that's why you don't use it as often as butter.

The difference between Soda and Powder is chemical, but we don't have time for a chemistry lesson today.

Writinggal said...

I will email the rolo recipe to you and anyone else who wants it, Jessi. I owe you anyway because of your freezing idea. It was funny because Frank's dad was even like, "Didn't Jessi say that you should freeze it?" And I was like, "How does he know Jessi?"

Jessi said...

See all your blog readers are like an online circle of friends. Some you've met and some you haven't.

Isn't it so tender?

Writinggal said...

Yes, it was weird when I got votes the other day from people I've never heard of.

ReadBecca said...

I really hope people I've never heard of are reading ReadBecca. I like strangers.

Writinggal said...

Oh, they are. I think some of the strangers here migrated from your blog and vice versa. Jessi's got 'em too. But now we're all family.