Search This Blog

Monday, December 19, 2005

Writinggal's Persons of the Year

Time magazine is confused. What’s more, they’re confusing everyone else. They can’t decide if the Person of the Year is a good thing or a bad thing. So this year it’s three philanthropists: Bill & Melinda Gates and our friend Bono. (I once almost went to a beach in Italy where Bono was a few days before. Thus the “our friend” label.)

Since they’re the “Persons of the Year” for doing good things they make comments like, “We’re so humbled” and “What an honor.” Did they know they share this “honor” with Hitler?

I’m not saying it shouldn’t switch from bad to good. That’s okay. Time just needs to be more consistent in how they pitch it. Like this year they’re going along with the whole “honorable” thing. Instead they should push their point about how it’s the most “influential” person/thing—good or bad. Because next year when they pick Bin Laden they’ll have to defend themselves: “No, no. It’s never an “award,” it’s just whoever makes the biggest difference—good or bad. It’s always been like that.”

Plus, I totally have other ideas for who it should have been this year:

Oprah-It’s her 20th anniversary. And she helps in Africa, too! Plus, she buys people houses. And iPods.

Jessica Simpson-Thanks to J.S. I totally dug out my Daisy Dukes this year. But then quickly put them away.

Tom Cruise-We were all glib until we listened to him.

Weathermen…women…Weatherpeople…Weatherpersons?-That’s who Best Week Ever said had the best year. And I always defer to them.

Aunt Marilyn and Uncle John-Maybe they can be the persons of the year for the blog.

I’m just left with so many questions for Time. Like when they notify someone that they’re the person of the year, what do they say? Congratulations? That doesn’t really seem right. But I bet they do when it’s a good person. Or persons? Doesn't anybody say people anymore? They’re so confused. I'm so confused.

Hey-I wonder what kind of music Bin Laden will request at his photo shoot. I peg him as a Limp Bizkit kinda guy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really think "The Weather" should have been the "Person of the Year". I think it had the most influential impact on the world.
Yes, "Time" should reiterate that it is an "influential" person or event, not necessarily a positive one.
I do love your friend Bono though!

Liz said...

interesting thought process. i'd never thought of it that way. you are so insightful, writinggal!

ReadBecca said...

I'm the person of my year, as I am every year. I love me!

Writinggal said...

Sounds like I am the person of Liz's year. Liz, without you I may have never tried that Krispy Kreme donut. So you are pretty influential yourself.

Liz said...

oh my gosh. you ARE the person of my year. without you, i would have never created the hopping on one foot, twirling, juggling and sweating with a smile move! you're the best, dancinggal.

Writinggal said...

Although Dis has a point, too. Who is more influential than yourself? Nobody had a bigger impact on my year than me. If it weren't for me, my year would have sucked. Because I'd be dead. And that would suck. And you can quote me, Time magazine!