Search This Blog

Friday, December 23, 2005

I'm Dreaming of a Mildly Cool Christmas

Hi. It's me, Writinggal. On location from Friendswood, Texas (or as Scott Womack calls it "Pleasantville.")

Frank and I rolled in about 8:00 last night. He was wearing short sleeves. He would have worn shorts if I had let him. He ALWAYS asks if he can wear shorts. Sure, it's not that cold but it looks weird to wear shorts in Dec/Jan/Feb. I can't convince him.

I donned my very light-weight "Team Captain" jacket. (Oh, and my mom also asked me what I was the team captain of.)

It's warmer in Pleasantville than it was in Dallas! On the way down I asked Frank to turn on the A/C. He reminded me that his A/C is broken. "Darn! We need that A/C!" I said, sweating.

What kind of warped state do we live in where a gal complains that the A/C is broken in late December? On the first official day of winter!

We poor Texas kids have never made a snowman on Christmas. In fact, I don't think I've made a snowman ever. We've never had snowball fights. We've never laid eyes on a sled. And that one-horse open sleigh? Never dashed through the snow in it.

God, Jesus, Mother Nature (to whom it may concern), I'm not asking for a white Christmas. It would just be nice for a little breeze. Perhaps some brown ice? Or maybe just a Christmas where Frank doesn't even THINK to ask if he can wear shorts.

Writinggal, signing off from lukewarm Pleasantville.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know! I went to Buffalo with Brendan and was amazed by all the snow. It's crazy. He had to show me all the "winter tricks" to walking on ice, how to wear your scarf so your nose doesn't freeze, etc... I didn't know anything. Also I was frustrated that I couldn't go running.

Writinggal said...

That's a good point. If we lived in the North we would just sit inside and get fat.

Writinggal said...

Those Aussies! They're so secluded down there they don't even know there's such a thing as a white Christmas.

We're not far from Galveston now. Frank thinks maybe we should go to the beach. He's got his trunks ready.

ReadBecca said...

In snowed on Christmas last year in Corpus. I saw pictures of a snowman on the beach!