Search This Blog

Monday, December 12, 2005

Goldilocks and Her Running Partners

Ever since I started running I’ve been on my own. Solo. Or SoulO as Nick Lachey puts it. Sometimes when people hear that I run they’ll say, “We should run together!” and at first I thought that was a good idea. So I tried it.

The first girl said I was too slow. Well, she didn’t say that to my face but she told a mutual friend, “I just can’t physically run that slow. It’s bad for my knees.” I certainly didn’t want to be the cause of her paralysis. I’d try to run with other people and they would say I was too fast. I like that better than being too slow.

I notice when I run in races there’s usually no one around me. No, I’m not at the front of the pack. But I’m not at the back either. Just nobody is running the exact same pace as me. Or else I smell like garlic.

Also, I don’t really like to talk when I run. I just like to let my mind wander. Running through neighborhoods is my favorite because I like to try to figure out people’s floor plans. I’m not going to rob them or anything. I just like to try to figure it out.

I think it’s funny when people say “but running by yourself is so boring!” Boring? Running is hard. That means it hurts. Is going to the dentist boring? Is having a baby boring? When you’re in pain, boredom is the last thing on your mind.

Yesterday I ran the White Rock half marathon here in Dallas. At about mile 7 I noticed these two girls who were running right next to me. They asked me what mile we were on and we started talking from there. Their names were Dixie and Allison. I knew Dixie’s name right away because Allison kept saying it: “Ya doin’ okay, Dix? How ya holding up, Dix? Look, Dix, we’re almost there!”

We chatted and ran and Allison commented, “You run the same pace as we do! You should train with us!” I told her about how nobody is ever running around me. She said, “That happens to us too! Right, Dix?”

But then we realized that I lived in Dallas and they lived in Oklahoma City. So alas, we couldn’t be the three legendary running ladies. But we finished the half marathon together. Even though Dixie almost gave up. “I can’t go this fast, guys!” she said. Allison said, “We won’t leave you Dix!” I thought, “Speak for yourself!”

We all crossed the line at the same time and had our best half marathon times ever.

So even though I’ve never found the right running partner for me I think the few that I’ve had have helped me along the way. Especially the first one who thought I ran too slow. Oh, by the way, she ran the half marathon yesterday too.

She came in a minute behind me.


8 comments:

Jessi said...

Good job! Did you rub it in, waiting for her at the finish? I'm always alone too but that's fine because I sing to myself. I'm sure peeps don't want to hear that.

Writinggal said...

No, I just saw the results online today. I know I'm psycho competitive but it brings me great joy to beat someone who said I was slow.

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! You just get better and better. I can't believe that girl is actually named Dixie!

Writinggal said...

Only in Oklahoma I guess! Dixie and Allison are going to do the Cowtown marathon in Fort Worth. Maybe I should go cheer them on.

Writinggal said...

I just found my pals on the results page. Dixie actually spells her name Dixy!

Jessi said...

If you look at Dixy really quick, it looks like Dinky. Ok that could just be me.

Anonymous said...

Elsa,
I had fun running with you in Pittsburgh and in Katy around the lake. Hey, I'm a crazy runner and Dad nor Doug can keep up with me. I hope you don't think that I never want to run with you.

Way to go on the half-marathon. My first marathon, I made a friend and talked with her for a while also. This past marathon, I talked with the marathon marshall that was on the bike. It's nice to have someone by your side.

The third place female runner in the Dallas marathon got 1st place at the San Antonio marathon--pretty cool!

I can't wait to see your family, Frankie, and you on Christmas Day!

NorthTexasSECLawyer said...

Congrats on the half marathon! Very cool. By the way, I'm posting this on 12/14 wondering if anyone will read a comment to an out-of-date blog entry.