Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Writinggal on the Road

It’s me, Writinggal, coming to you live from Austin, Texas. I’ve got a little project I’m working on here in Austin for the next few weeks so I’ll be blogging from the capital city.

People have told me that I won’t like driving back and forth between Austin and Dallas so much but I say, “Are you kidding? Have you seen the sites on I35?” Let me give you a little tour:

First, right out of Dallas you hit Red Oak. I don’t know what it is but I always think of Aunt Honey. That’s Doug Clayton’s aunt and all I remember is that she lives in Red Oak and sometimes they go there for Thanksgiving or Easter. I say “Wassup, Aunt Honey?” when I go through it.

About an hour outside you’ll hit Italy. When I drove through it this weekend I was on the phone with Liz and I said, “We’re in Italy…the city.” Just had to clarify. I should have said, “We’re in Italy, you know the place with the monolithic domes?” One day I’m gonna visit those domes. Who’s in?

Speaking of places I keep meaning to visit, how ‘bout Carl’s Corner? From what I hear it’s like the Four Seasons of truck stops. And Willie Nelson plays there sometimes. But as long as I can get some chocolate zingers, I’m sold.

Once I did the I35 trek with the Womacks (before they were the Womacks) and boy, do they know how to take a road trip. Every time one of us would casually mention something like, “Hey, a Blizzard sounds good,” Scott would immediately pull over and we would get one. Same went for the Czech Bakery in West. Tami said, “I could use a kolache” and bam, we were there. The kolaches were big and cheap, just the way I like ‘em!

If you look down to change the radio station about half an hour outside of Waco, you’ll miss Troy, Texas, hometown of the Loyd’s! And if you miss it, well, that’s probably okay.

Just North of Georgetown you’ve got Salado, an antiquer’s paradise. I’m not into antiques so I think of it more as a clutter-phobic’s worst nightmare.

So as you can see, there’s never a lack of things to see on your trip from Big D to the Live Music Capital of the World. I’m making the trip again on Friday. If I get too tired when I’m almost back to Dallas, I’ll probably just crash at Aunt Honey’s. Word is she’s got a monolithic dome. Yes. Two birds, one stone. I love this state.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo!! I made the blog! That was a fun trip, except for the ride home and that stupid wreck! I am driving up again this Friday morning, if you want to follow me I will help you miss the potholes (I drive I-35 so much I know where they are!)

P.S. Carl's Corner isn't for you, maybe better for Frank, if you know what I mean.

Liz said...

I am SO in for the monolithic domes!!!!! I've always wanted to go. I even went to their website... and that's one of those things that you always say "I'm going to go to that website one of these days" and I FINALLY did.

Writinggal said...

Scott-thanks for the offer. Can we get kolaches?

Liz-Let's go in the one that has a catepillar painted on it!

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to stop at the domes. Did not know there was a website, must check it out.

Ummm......I am so craving kolaches. I guess it is too early for lunch!

Anonymous said...

I usually stop in Waco at Whataburger for taquitos when I go up early, but if you are following me I guess I can wait 15 minutes.

Jessi said...

I wish I could have a kolache.

So sad.

Writinggal said...

Scott, let's stop at Whataburger, the Czech bakery AND that Robertson's Ham place too!

Anonymous said...

Hey - I think everyone is curious about those damn monolithic domes - and although I too have checked out their website and said I've love to go by one day, I'm afraid if I ever do visit, you'll never see me again... they're probably some sort of cult where they all wear the same outfits and have the same haircuts and wear blue eyeshadow...

Writinggal said...

Then it's settled: big road trip to Italy (the city). We'll say on the blog that we're going that way people can find us if we never return.

Anonymous said...

now that's just getting a little carried away with 3 stops, it's only a 3 hour trip. Honestly, I think I was just in a good mood when we stopped for a blizzard that day.

ReadBecca said...

I never heard of these domes of which you speak. My dream is to see the Marfa lights.