Search This Blog

Monday, April 10, 2006

Baby Shower Shenanigans


On Sunday Frank and I went to a couples’ baby shower. It’s funny because this was only the second baby shower Frank had ever attended and the first one was just a few weeks ago.

Oh, wait. There was that one in 2000:

Frank and I were invited to a couples’ wedding shower in Austin one Saturday evening. We were driving down the street, looking for the address, when we saw some balloons on a mailbox. We weren’t positive this was the right house until we saw lots of cars. One of those cars was our friends Jason and Eric’s. They drove up beside our car and said, “We’ll be right back. We forgot the card,” and they gestured towards the house with the balloons.

So Frank and I walked up to the house, knocked on the door and nobody answered. Well, it’s a party so we could just walk in, right? So we did. Many smiling faces greeted us and I said, “Hi, I’m Elsa!” to everyone who made eye contact with me. I thought to myself, I don’t recognize anybody here but I guess I really wouldn’t—just the bride and groom (and Jason and Eric who had left their card at home).

I was holding this big present (I know, how rude of Frank to not carry it) so I went to set it down with all the other gifts. As I set it down I noticed something odd. All of the presents were pink. My present was silver. I slowly turned around and everyone was staring at me.

Then one girl confirmed what I had already suspected: “Um, I think you’re at the wrong house."

I froze with the big, silver present. I looked over at Frank and he looked equally surprised as he started to make a run for the door. I thought about how Jason and Eric had pointed at this house. They were so lucky they had forgotten their card and…wait a second.

“Don’t feel bad,” the girl said, “You weren’t the first people to do it. These other guys came in here with a big keg! They carried it through the house and said, ‘Which way to the back yard?’”

So at least we didn’t do that. But after that fiasco it would be six years before we would be invited to another couples’ baby shower.

Hmmm…I’m starting to think Frank may have been in on this after all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elsa & Frank-
Thanks so much for coming to our baby shower yesterday!! It was great to see y'all!! I know it was small and super causal..but we were so happy y'all were there! Jenny & Goose

Writinggal said...

No prob! We're on the baby shower tour and Frank likes how there's always beer at these events (even if there's not a whole keg). Good to see you guys!

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! I forgot that story.

Anonymous said...

What a cute pic! :) I think the models are especially cute!