Search This Blog

Monday, April 17, 2006

Plane Puzzlers


I have never once in my life purchased or even drank tomato juice. I don’t know anyone who ever has it in their house. And at restaurants I’ve never heard anyone else at the table say, “Tomato juice for me, please.”

Yet whenever I’m on a plane the person next to me inevitably orders this concoction. What is it about planes that make people want to drink the catsup paste?

And while we’re on the subject, I’ve never been at someone’s house where they said, “Hey, ya want something to drink? How ‘bout a Ginger Ale?” Yet on planes passengers suddenly get a hankering for it.

Here’s another one: Bailey’s and cream. I love the stuff. But again, really just hear about it on the plane.

Oh, wait, Frank has one to add: “What about those warm towels they give to first class? Even in the fanciest restaurants they don’t give you warm towels before you eat. Wassup with that?”

Good point, Frank. Although we'd probably have to go to a fancy restaurant to actually confirm that. And when we do I dare you order the catsup paste. I call the Ginger Ale.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a former F/A, I will agree with your tomato research. It's amazing how popular it is. The worst part is that each can has about 1000mg of Sodium! That'll make you bloat up like a balloon on a plane.

Oh, and Tei Tei does hot towels before dinner. Just had to throw that in.

Writinggal said...

Well if I didn't want the TJ before I definitely don't want it now! Thanks for the bloating tip!

See, Frank? I knew we were in no position to comment on fancy restaurants!

Anonymous said...

There is nothing worse than being puffy on the plane. I will stay away from the TJ. It is true someone always orders it by me.
The ginger ale is good for air sickness!
Canada Dry and V8 must make most of their profits off of the airlines.

Writinggal said...

I think you've got something there, Tucker. I also think a good strategy is to charge a little something for things so people think it's worht it. Like if I was having a garage sale (which I can't at the Extended Stay) and I wanted to get rid of, let's say, a pair of leggings circa 1991, I would probably have better luck charing $.50 than if I gave them away for free. Something to think about. And no, I'm not giving away or selling my leggings. I'm pretty sure they'll come back around.