Search This Blog

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Slap me with a Scarlet Letter



You know how much I love Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal, right? Well I do. I love it so much that at night before I go to bed I think, “I can’t wait to get up in the morning and eat my Kashi.” And then when I wake up it’s like the first thing I think about. It’s Writinggal crack.


I’m not the only one. Tips from Thea is addicted too and she even eats it for other meals sometimes—lunch, dinner, an Oprah snack. Well, TfT has a real job so she doesn’t have an Oprah snack but I bet if she did it would be Kashi. Tips from Tricia loves it too and she’s the one who started it all. She’s sort of our Kashi crack dealer.

And you also know that when I love something and consume it a lot I like to buy it in bulk. That’s true of salmon in a can, black beans, jalapeños, blueberries, toilet paper, q-tips, wine, beer and graham crackers. You know, the basics. Well I also buy my Kashi in these giant boxes and usually when I go to Costco I go ahead and get two giant boxes. The sad thing is I can go through those two boxes in about a month.

The other day I was out of Kashi crack so I decided that warranted a trip to Costco (even though I wasn’t out of anything else). Frank even came along (which means we also have to get enormous amounts of jalapeño sausage). I go to pick up my two boxes of Kashi and I notice it’s a little bit cheaper. Score!

When we get home I take out my two giant boxes of Kashi and to my despair I see that one says “Kashi GoLean Crunch” and the other says “Kellogg’s Smart Start.” AH!! Kellogg’s Smart Start? That’s not the crack! I might as well have bought Total or Lucky Charms or POOP TARTS!! And the worst part? Frank KNEW I bought the wrong stuff. He said, “Oh, I saw that in the cart and just thought you were trying something new.” Something new? Why on earth would I do that?

“We have to take it back!” I scream, as I frantically search in the trash can for the receipt. “No, we’re not gonna take it back. Let’s just try it,” Frank says, trying to calm me down.

What’s an addict to do? I didn’t see how this could be as good as my Kashi but I didn’t want to drive in the traffic and I didn’t want to go through the grueling Costco process (showing them my card, walking to the back where the cereal is, trying to avoid the samples of smoothies and raviolis and turkey spiral thingies, making an exchange, having to pay cash…)

So I didn’t go back. Instead, I cheated on my Kashi. I ate the Smart Start. Frank ate the Smart Start too. And you know what? It’s pretty good. Actually, it’s pretty freakin’ awesome. Frank now likes to alternate it with his new Oatmeal To Go poops.

BUT the Kashi company needn’t go out of business (and they’re owned by Kellogg’s anyway although they’ll never admit it). I WILL be returning to my crack. You see, Smart Start is lacking the main benefit of Kashi—FIBER! Sure, it says it has 5 grams but that’s only if you eat 1 and ¼ of a cup of it. With my beloved Kashi I get 8 grams in one cup. You can’t beat it. And you certainly can’t cheat it. I’ll be back, baby. Back to the crack.


"We love you, Kashi Crack!" Okay, maybe on this particular evening we loved wine. But it's the same sentiment.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm...Kashi...

I find myself trying different brands every now and then but I always come back to the crunch! I like the special k with berries but I think it's just because I'm amazed at how the shriveled red rocks transform in the milk and become yummy berries. Maybe Kashi should add berries to the crunch...it'd be heaven!

Anonymous said...

I will have to try Kashi when I come back!
Thought you would like to have an international comment on your blog.
I will spread the word on Kashi here in Florence!
I will also try Thea's advice about getting picked up in an art gallery.

Writinggal said...

Maybe they have Kashi at the big market in Florence! It would be great with Gelato.

Anonymous said...

I've been eating the Kashi 7 whole grain flakes, and I love it! It has less fiber (just 6 grams), but it also has less than half the sugar - only 5 grams. Any way you can get it, Kashi is the good stuff!

Writinggal said...

Maybe I'll try that. I am a fan of flakes.

Anonymous said...

We are a Smart Start family. I love the stuff! Glad to see you're widening your horizons writinggal.

ReadBecca said...

You owe me $2.89.

I bought some of your stupid Kashi GoLean, and I feel just like Sandra Bullock in Crash. I knew exactly what was going to happen, but I didn't do anything to stop it.

I knew it was going to suck. It flatout says "fiber twigs" on the box. Anything with twigs as an ingredient cannot be good. I know that. But I bought it anyway and it's horrible, just like I knew it would be.

I am going to have to eat five boxes of Frankenberry to erase the taste and the memory. Boo Kashi!

Anonymous said...

Disrespecca - sounds like you got the wrong kind. There is Kashi Go Lean and Kashi Go Lean Crunch. Kashi Go Lean has the "fiber twigs". You can have your Frankenberry all you want though.