Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Tuesdays with Vino Celebrates Four Years of Literary Lushness


Tonight my book club is celebrating its four year anniversary. That’s got to be some kind of book club record. How do we make it last? Probably because of the girls. Or maybe it’s the vino. Whenever I tell people about my book club I get lots of questions so I thought I’d take this opportunity to respond to some FAQ’s via an imaginary interview:

Why is it called Tuesdays with Vino?
Every girl brings a bottle of wine to share. I only recently discovered that the name may in fact be a take off on the book Tuesdays with Morrie.

Wow. That’s a lot of wine.
Yes. Yes it is.

Do you finish all that wine?
Usually. But if we don’t the hostess keeps the bottles.

So is everybody drunk talking about books?
Enough with the wine!

How many people are in book club?
It varies. When it first started sometimes we’d pack in twenty girls and now we have between 8-12.

How do you get into the book club?
You fill out an application, write a few book reports then there’s a talent competition. Oh, and of course there’s the part where you strip down to your underwear and we circle your fat parts.

Really?
Or you just show up with a friend.

Can men join?
No.

Why not?
I’m not sure. I’ll have to check the handbook. I think gay men may be considered.

Does everybody read the book?
That varies too depending on the book. It’s much better if everybody reads the book.

What kinds of books do you read?
Classics like the Great Gatsby, historical fiction like The Other Boleyn Girl, best-sellers like Running with Scissors and books that later turned into movies like ShopGirl. There’s been almost 50 so they really run the gamut.

What’s a gamut anyway?
Aren’t we talking about my book club?

Right. So do you eat at this book club?
Yes, that’s my favorite part! The girl who hosts that month cooks the food and it’s always something really good. So good that the next day everybody requests the recipe. You know what? We could probably make a book club cook book! I’m going to suggest that tonight.

Hello? I’ve got more questions.
Oh, carry on.

Are the girls hot in this book club?
Of course. Please refer to the pictures.

Do you only talk about the book or do you mainly eat and socialize?
Here’s a breakdown:
42% Socializing
27% Eating and drinking
31% Book Discussion

Is there a leader of the book club?
Yes, Stefanie is the founder and our fearless leader. But tonight she is relinquishing her throne.

Why?
Duh. You can’t lead for more than four years. That would be like a monarchy.

Who will be the new leader?
We’ll find out tonight!

Are you going to run?
No. But I could be the spokesperson for TWV and make myself available for press interviews such as these.

Um, I don’t think there will be anymore interviews.
Well, still. I’ll be available just in case.

Tell the book club girls that I said Happy Four-Year Anniversary!
I will, imaginary interviewer!


Tuesdays with Vino on a field trip to New York City for a book club convention!

Really?

No, it was book club member Lindsay's wedding.

6 comments:

Jessi said...

Awe, can I be a member at large? I read books and drink. Oh and I can cook too.

People here are boring. All they do is gamble.

Anonymous said...

I loved my book club in Houston! Our percentages were more like 49%/42%/9%, but we still read some great books... and drank some great wine. I miss it! (I heard through the grapevine that the book they're reading this month is great - "The Sex Lives of cannibals" - just in case you guys want to check it out.)

Writinggal said...

Jessi-I guess you could read the book, drink and then email us your feedback!

Laura-You need to start a Durango chapter of your book club! But that book you mention sounds like it would hit too close to home to members of my book club :)

See you this weekend!

Anonymous said...

I would love to read Jessi's drunk rantings on the book each month via email! That could be quite funny.

Writinggal, has Readinggal finished the book for tonight?

Writinggal said...

Readinggal hasn't finished the book but plans to after her gum doctor appointment!!

Jessi said...

Sign me up! :)