Search This Blog

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Have you met Doug?


Doug is kinda like my brother...in-law. Except he’s not related...yet. He’s my sister-in-law Julie’s boyfriend. He’s been around the family longer than me—first as a friend and then as a boyfriend. He’s probably the nicest guy you’ll ever meet. Okay, that sounds cliché but I’m sitting here trying to think of a nicer guy and I really can’t.

Stats on Doug:

Age: 24
Birthday: April Fools Day
Likes: Music (is a drummer in a more than one band), sleeping
Loves: Julie, Julie, Julie…this is a man obsessed—but not in a creepy, scary way
Family life: Comes from a big family—is the youngest of five (is that right?)

At my wedding he totally stole my thunder. He did the video and when he went around and asked people what they’d like to say to Frank and me, Frank’s Nana and her sisters all said, “Oh, Doug. I just think you’re so cute.” Doug tried to get them back on track: “But this is for Frank and Elsa. What do you have to say about them?” Aunt Ila Mae said, “We hope YOU join the family, Doug. You’re just so cute.” Giggling ensued.

But ya still can’t hate the guy.

Oh, and he’s a pretty good dancer. Check out our performance at Christmas:













Okay, so we're not always in sync but I blame that on the egg nog. Or maybe Doug should stay behind the drums. Then he won't be as likely to steal my thunder.

6 comments:

Writinggal said...

And I must apologize to Doug Clayton. You probably got excited when you saw the title. We’ll profile you another time but of course we’ll call it “Have you met Big Daddy?”

Anonymous said...

You are right Elsa, Doug is probably the most genuinely nice person that I know!
And he is fun, too!
Hope to see you soon Doug at some Simcik-Weidman get together!

Anonymous said...

Too funny, I thought it was about Doug Clayton at first. Where has he been? He's Tips from Thea's number one fan.

As for Doug #2, he's a good guy too!

Writinggal said...

Big Daddy? Come in, Big Daddy. Your fans are asking about you!

As for the other Doug (star of today's blog), I'm not sure he reads it so I'm bringing a print-out to show him this weekend. Nana will be there and she'll like that she got a mention too.

Writinggal said...

And I forgot to mention Doug's nickname: Dougie Poo (given to him by Julie and Frank's brother David which is weird I know).

Anonymous said...

This is Doug's Mom. I just wanted to share with you what at nice guy Doug has been even when he was little by sharing a story with you. One day, when Doug was about two years old, I was very busy in the kitchen and Doug wanted me to put his shoes on. You see, Doug was at an age where he could easily take his shoes off (and often did) but was not yet successful at putting them on. I spoke to Doug and explained that we were not going outside and that he did not really need to have his shoes on. He again requested, "Mommy, put my shoes on." I explained to him that Mommy was very busy this day, we were not going outside, and that he usually liked to have his shoes off in the house. But Doug looked me straight in the face and with determination repeated, "MOMMY, PUT MY SHOES ON." "All right!" I exclaimed with exasperation and a little anger. I hurled him up on the counter where I had been working, grabbed the shoes, and crammed them on his feet roughly. "There! I hope you're happy now!" I blurted out. He looked up at me with the most sincere, sweetest smile and said with a sweet voice, "I hope you're happy too, Mom!" It so caught me off guard that I just had to laugh and give him a big hug. "YOU make me happy!" I told him. And he continues to do so..... Doug's Mom