Search This Blog

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Mr. Frank-Fix-It



There’s been so many blogs I can’t remember if I told you about how Frank’s dad used to console him about not being very handy.

Sorry if this anecdote is a repeat:

When Frank was a lad his younger brother David and his father were always building something, fixing something or spackling something. Frank, on the other hand, didn’t appear to inherit this handy ability. Now whenever his dad and brother are rebuilding a car engine or installing hardwood floors or even adding dimmers to a light switch, Frank asks, “Hey, dad, how come I never learned to do stuff like that?”

His dad (a counselor) will say, “When David and I were working on the cars and the house, you were always up in your room, playing your guitar.” Smart move on the elder Frank’s part. It makes young Frank think, “Oh, I’m talented too. I just have a different talent!”

So Frank was okay with his non-handiness until we bought this house. Now he’s determined to fix, install and yes, maybe even spackle some things.

It started with the doorknob on our back door. The original had a handle on it and it kept hitting the blinds. So Frank decided to change it. This was no small matter. He had to find a doorknob that matched the others exactly and he took his cause to about a dozen different hardware stores. He ended up ordering it online. And when Frank gets involved in a project, there’s usually at least one point where he’s done the whole thing wrong, curses himself, and then starts all over. This was true with the doorknob. But you gotta give the guy credit for determination. I would have called Doorknob Dudes Inc. after one try. So here’s the finished product:




Please, if you ever come over, compliment this doorknob.

After the doorknob there was the assembling of the liquor/wine cabinet:


The console table:



And let’s not forget the hanging of the Christmas lights, some repairs to the shower fixture and constant maintenance to my spin shoes.

But this past week he completed a project that united his two worlds: music and home improvement. Frank installed speakers AND a volume control on our deck. Okay, the wiring was already there in the backyard but we didn’t know where the other end was. Luckily, we bumped into the guy who used to live here and he showed us that the wiring was hidden behind what appeared to be a phone jack in the formal living room. Who knew? So after weeks of internet research, hammering and the purchase of his very first drill, we now have a kick ass stereo system on our deck:






We’ve had dinner out there every night since! So while I’m not a fan of the drill, I do like that I have a handy husband who’s good for more than just opening jars and squashing spiders. But watch out, Frank. I hear David’s thinking of taking up the guitar.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you figured out how to broadcast the UT games out there yet?

Writinggal said...

That's a hefty promise, Frank. Don't worry, folks. If it doesn't work out then he'll just play his guitar for you.

Anonymous said...

Singing commentary would be a nice touch. And start learning the fight song, Frank.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Frank... I will never pick up playing the guitar. My one try when I was in 3rd grade was all I could take for a life time... I'll just have to rely on my handy talent..... What the hell, Elsa doesn't like the drill... Ryobi, can beat the price!

Writinggal said...

Drills don't kill people. People kill people.