Search This Blog

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Sing. Sing out Loud. Sing out Strong. Sing out Proud. Or maybe not.


Even though we managed to avoid this entire season of American Idol, last night Frank and I tuned in at our neighbors’ house—and were struck with McPheever and Hicks-mania.

I don’t really like to watch it because they drag it out too long. Frank has a bigger issue: he’s tone deaf. So when they show the “bad” singers he says, “They sound fine to me.” He’s like Paula.

Even though I knew about Frank’s handicap (a big surprise considering he was a member of two semi-successful bands including Strictly Business), I didn’t know how bad until our most recent road trip to Austin. I had made a mixed CD of all my fave songs and we were jammin’ to them while I sang along. Every now and then Frank would join in as he always does in a silly-mocking-singing voice. It’s sort of high-pitched, way off key and really loud. As usual I said, “Do you have to do that? I really like this song.”

But this time Frank said in all seriousness, “What’s wrong with my voice?” Unsure of where to start I said, “Well, it’s just annoying how you sing in that silly voice and make fun of my songs when I’m trying to enjoy them.” He said, “I’m not making fun of them. I’m just singing.” Ohmyga. THAT’S HIS REAL SINGING VOICE. “So you’re saying that’s just how you sing?” I asked, stunned. What could I do? I had to allow him to sing along if that was, in fact, his real voice.

You may be surprised at my Simon-esque critique of Frank’s singing but a). You would think it too and b). Here’s something you may not know about me—I used to be able to sing. You know how people might say as a joke, “Hey, what did you do with the money your parents gave you for singing lessons?” I would have to answer that with “I got singing lessons!” I could always sort of sing but in high school I wanted to really sing (to get this part in the senior musical). So my parents sprung for voice lessons. The weird thing was, the voice teacher couldn’t sing all that well but she was a good teacher. I got good enough to get the part of Sandy in Grease junior year but by senior year I got stuck in the chorus for Guys and Dolls. Guess those voice lessons didn’t pay off.

I still sing around the house, in the shower and of course, in the car. In all those places I sound pretty good. But I’m no Katharine McPhee. I’m no Carrie Underwood. And Frank’s certainly no Taylor Hicks. But I figure if William Hung can make it in the music biz then Frank’s still got a chance. And until then, I’ll let him sing in the car. But only if I can turn the radio up really loud.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will have to listen more carefully when you sing next time and I will try not to sing around you because I can't sing.

Writinggal said...

Yea-neighbor Carrie is on the blog! When I was singing along with the Idol kids last night I wasn't going all out in my voice-lesson voice. You should hear me do Neil Diamond though.

Esther Avila said...

LOL - we were having our own block party out in California. I was cheering for Taylor and my husband for Kat.

I didn't mind them dragging out the show one bit - it was very entertaining. And I loved seeing Clay Aiken again. (I like his previous look better)

Anonymous said...

As a vocal student and some time vocal coach, let Frank take some voice lessons. Most people don't learn pitch distinction because they try to copy other human voices and, perhaps, the ones they were listening to could either - not sing or only sing in a low pitch. When a child tries to match pitch with a low tone (which he cannot do)he ends up"learning" to sing off key. Get Frank a male vocal coach that he can match pitch to and also to learn how to breathe and project properly and you will both be happier....:-)