Search This Blog

Monday, February 06, 2006

So That's How That Got There

I have several songs stuck in my head. Lately I’ve started to figure out why certain ones are stuck in my head at certain times.

For instance, it seems that in the morning hours I’m often singing that Gloria Estefan (plus the Miami Sound Machine I think) song, “1-2-3-4, Come on Baby Say you’ll love me, 5-6-7 times.” I mean, I’m singing all the way up to “8-9-10-11, I’m just gonna keep on countin’ until you are mine.” Then I start wondering if she really wanted to write a song about numbers or was she hoping to get a Sesame Street gig out of it?

Turns out I had to go to the eye doctor to solve the mystery. I was at the vision place in the mall (are they real eye doctors by the way?) and I put in these new contacts. Right after I did that the song creeped back into my head: “1-2-3-4…” Ah-ha! My contacts have the numbers “1-2-3” on them to help me know which way they go! Thus, I’m stuck with Gloria and the Sound Machine until I can afford Lasik.

Here’s another one: Every time I’m in my kitchen, standing over my sink I’ve got that Barenaked Ladies song goin’: “…watching X-files with no lights on, blah blah blah blah, like Harrison Ford I’m getting Frantic, like Sting I’m tantric…” Sometimes it’s other parts of the song like, “Chicken vagina the Chinese chicken, had a drumstick and your brain starts ticking…” (I cannot be held responsible for misunderstood lyrics).

Then I solved that one too: I’m always working with chicken when I’m in the kitchen! After I touch the chicken I inevitably wash my hands in the sink so, there I am, singing, “Chicken vagina…” Gross.

When I used to get up early and go to a real job I would sing this song in the shower (to the tune of “The Most Beautiful Girl in the World” by Prince): “I’m the tiredest girl in the world. It’s plain to see, I’m the reason that God made tired girls.” So sometimes I’d end up singing the real song when I got to work (beautiful girl lyrics and all). Guess that’s why my co-workers thought I had a big ego.

Now if someone could just tell me why I have that Bad English song, “When I See you Smile” stuck in my head right now, I would really appreciate it. Oh, sorry. Now it’s stuck in yours, isn’t it?

1 comment:

ReadBecca said...

I have only four minutes of Internet yet. What does that say about me that I know I can get nothing done in those four minutes, but I refuse to give up my station? I stay on and the last minute counts down in seconds so I try to finish and log out before it cuts me off involuntarily. I feel like I'm defusing a bomb. It's fun! The best ever is if I can log out with one second left. Wouldn't that rock? Do you think the CIA will try to recruit me for my coolness under pressure and logging off skills? I'm going to ask for double my salary if they do.