Search This Blog

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Circus Ole′

I have never seen Cirque du Soleil but I remember the first time I heard about it in college. My roommate had gone to see it in Vegas and this is what she had to say about it:

“We saw the most amazing show! It was just like, so, amazing!”

“Really? What did they do?”

“It was like…all these amazing things…”

“Well, how much did it cost?”

“Like $100 but I would have paid more!”

“Really? But just last week you couldn’t afford to go through the Taco Bell drive thru.”

“No, don’t you see? This is SO MUCH BETTER than that! I would have paid anything to see this amazing show!”

Ever since then I’ve heard lots of people talk about Cirque du Soleil and not only do I still not know what goes on there, up until 2001 I thought it was called “Circus Ole′.”

So here’s my response after people tell me they’ve seen the show: “So you think you can die now because you saw it, right?”

They usually respond affirmatively.

I just went to their website and the first thing I saw was this molester clown beckoning me to come in. $100+ for that? Really? Are you sure they're not slipping you drugs?

Also, I just can’t get how anything resembling a circus can be that great. I loathe the circus. Okay, I’ve only been once (and I was already a grown-up) but it was really long and tedious. Yes, I thought I could die after seeing the circus…die of boredom.

Now in book club we’re reading a book that takes place in a circus. I’m only halfway through so I don’t have a final judgment yet. But everybody’s drooling over it and going on and on about how incredible it is…even the back cover critics are giving accolades like I’ve never seen before such as “I am hopelessly, unabashedly in love with this book…” Woah. I’ve only heard people get that ambiguously excited about one other thing…

Circus Ole′!

“What’s so good about the book?”

“It’s just amazing!”

“What happens in the book?”

“Amazing things!”

“How much does the book cost?”

“I would pay thousands of dollars to read this book!”

“I know. I know. You can die now because you read this book.”

“YES!! Well, I’d like to see Cirque du Soleil first…”

“Um…I’m pretty sure the correct pronunciation is Circus Ole′. Duh.”

8 comments:

Jessi said...

Ugh! Not only are they creepy looking...whatever they are, but there are like 3 versions of the show here. There's like a Beatles one now! It's never gonna stop.

Like Walmart.

Anonymous said...

Remember at TM when one of the new ideas for Nortel was that Circus Ole thing and we didn't know what it was?

Anonymous said...

I hate the circus, and I really hate clowns, they are so creepy. I also feel sorry for the animals at the circus.

But I have seen 2 of the Cirque Ole shows, and they were really good. As long as they keep the clown thing to a minimun.

Writinggal said...

The Nortel idea was how I learned the real spelling and pronunciation!

I had heard that one of the concepts was Circus Ole and then when they were about to present it I saw "Cirque du Soleil" on the board and I didn't even know it was the same thing! I even said out loud, "Where is the Circus Ole concept?" And someone pointed to it and luckily, "Circus Ole" sounds like "Cirque du Soleil" when you say it fast.

But anyway, that's how I learned my fatal mistake.

Kristin: Can you die now?

Anonymous said...

I have yet to be sucked into the Circus Ole, but I absolutely loved the Circus Book!

[walking off to go die happily]

Anonymous said...

i've seen some of the shows on bravo, but never in person... i just don't get the stuff the audience laughs at - i guess it's french humor!

oh, and the clowns and strange characters really scare me, i'm afraid i'll have bad dreams :-(

Anonymous said...

I've seen two Cirque shows, and they were both incredible. Am I ready to die now? Nope, I haven't read "the book" yet! What is the name of the book you guys are reading? (You can tell I'm in withdrawls from my bc in Houston. So sad.)

Writinggal said...

The book is Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.