Search This Blog

Friday, November 18, 2005

More Tips from Thea


It’s back by popular demand. And when I say “popular demand” I mean Doug Clayton requested more tips from Thea. And he’s sort of popular.

Well she's at it again and this time she’s saved me, made me smarter and helped me win a contest. Some pretty good tips, eh?

The Tip that Saved Me
Last Friday I posted a blog about pyramid schemes. I actually wrote the blog Thursday night after a couple of glasses of wine at the Pampered Chef party. When I went to write the word “sommelier,” I googled it and took its first guess which was, “Somalia.” I wasn’t sure why it needed to be capitalized but who cares? I just bought a nifty rice cooker!

The next morning as I was driving to meet the girls for the Nordstrom’s Grand Opening, I heard Big Al on the radio say something about those pirates off the coast of Somalia. Ah!! Somalia! That's what I had written! I knew Thea would know how to spell sommelier (since she’s the one who taught me the word in the first place). I called her and told her that I had written that a woman was a “Somalia” and she said, “What? She’s a small, irate country?” She then quickly gave me the correct spelling and I sped to Jacquie’s house to change it before any blog readers knew my secret--that I’m no spelling bee champ when I’ve had too much wine. Even when the word has to do with wine.

The Tip that Made me Smarter
I was telling Thea that my sister’s boyfriend owned a business where “I think they ‘sup’ up cars like ghetto style.” She asked, “Is it a detailing business?” and I said, “Yes!! That’s it! Detailing!” So now when he’s here for Thanksgiving I can use this term instead of saying, “So, how many low-riders did you do this week?”

The Tip that Helped me Win a Contest
On Wednesday Thea sent me a link to a contest on D Magazine’s FrontBurner. They asked people to write film reviews and the two winners would get to be Deputy Film Reviewers at the Deep Ellum Film Festival this weekend. I got Thea’s note, wrote a review and won! I’m going to be a unpaid film critic this weekend!

Check it out Hopefully you can guess which one I wrote.

Okay, so all these tips are really only relevant to me. I realize that. But hey, she also mentioned that you can get good deals on Burberry at Overstock.com. So get to Christmas shopping! And if you don’t have any money, I bet Thea would pick your lottery numbers for you.




Sometimes Cookinggal gets Tips from Thea!

8 comments:

ReadBecca said...

You wrote Sisterhood. I can't imagine you seeing Domino on purpose.

Anonymous said...

I'm putting all my money on Sisterhood too. For pretty much the same reason - I don't think you would have seen Man on Fire either.

Anonymous said...

[blushing]

Writinggal said...

Or maybe it's obvious I wrote Sisterhood because I'm not dark and sinister like the Domino reviewer, huh?

NorthTexasSECLawyer said...

I must say this Mr. Clayton fellow, if that's his real name, has excellent taste in blog content. Tips From Thea rules.

Writinggal said...

I take that back. Doug Clayton is not popular. He not only disguises himself as Big Daddy, he has a t-shirt. I have a picture to prove it!

(But he does have good taste in blog content. I'll give him that).

Anonymous said...

Doug Clayton is the smartest man I know! Or at least the smartest man I've met a few times!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe you've never heard of the country Somalia. Do you ever forget how to breathe?