Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Cookinggal Takes on Thanksgiving




This is my third year to “host” Thanksgiving. But what does that really mean? In the past it just meant that I made sure the house was clean (sometimes via a pricey maid, much to Frank’s despair) and then opened the door. My mom, mother-in-law and sister did all the work. My mom would even bring the turkey in from Houston! This pic is me on Thanksgiving two years ago. Yes, I wore the chef’s hat but just to be cute. The chef’s hat wasn’t even fooled.


But this year—since I’ve morphed into Cookinggal—I’m going to tackle it. Here’s what I’m making:

  • A turkey: The real kind that you have to cook, not the kind that you just heat up. Tonight my mom is going to call me and we’re going to “talk turkey” as she says. This means she’s going to walk me through cleaning out its guts. Gross. But I do feel a little bit like Meredith on Grey’s Anatomy. Or maybe Izzy. Except there’s no McDreamy.

  • A Spinach Casserole: Frank’s mom and I are on this healthy kick so everyone else is not so excited about this one. (It’s so an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond without the tofu turkey.)
  • This Asparagus/Tomato/Cheese dish that my neighbor vaguely told me about. Cross your fingers.
  • A fancy cheese dip: To keep my guests occupied while I’m cooking.
  • TWO Pumpkin Pies!

I’m letting the other ladies handle a few other sides like mashed potatoes, stuffing and salad. I WILL be supervising though.

Here’s what I’m gonna do, blog readers: I’m gonna take photos of everything I make and since most of the recipes are online, I’m going to compare the pics side by side on Monday. Now, you’ll have to take into account that the people at Kraft (where I get most of my recipes) hire fancy food stylists and secure the best lighting for their food. I tried to do that but the food stylists and photographers aren’t working on Thanksgiving. So I’ll have to do my best with my digital camera.

So today I’m cleaning (no fancy maid this year) and tomorrow I’m gonna slap on my apron and chef’s hat and make a Thanksgiving dinner. The chef’s hat is gonna be so confused.

So happy Thanksgiving! And remember, if you and your family get bored, you can always trace your hands and make a turkey. It’s a total blast. But you should probably get drunk like this guy did.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try deep frying a turkey, once you have one you will never go back to an oven baked turkey. This year will be my 7th year in a row deep frying.

Anonymous said...

I'm sad to be missing this year's Weidman/Simcik Thanksgiving! Last year was awesome...even if you didn't own a potato peeler. ;)

I will say hello to Oklahoma for you!

ReadBecca said...

DisRespecca cooks. Call me if you get in a bind. I have a meat thermometer and Sebastien will give me a reference. He ate my Thanksgiving dinner and liked it and you know how picky those French are.

Writinggal said...

Scott: Hello? Did you see the part about how we're trying to be healthy?

Tay: Thanks to you, I now own a PP. Oh, that means potato peeler. Didn't quite come out right.

Dis: Thanks for the offer! I actually just realized I needed a meat thermometer so my mom is bringing one up. Are you sure Seb liked it though? He may have been saying, "This is awful" and you thought he said, "This is wonderful." I love Seb but I can never understand the guy :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Thea, we will miss you at the too on Turkey Day. Have fun in OK!

Glad Elsa has a PP now, since I am making the potatoes!

Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving is no time to be healthy, go for taste!!!! I will be in C-town Thurs & Friday with a fried turkey each day if you want to taste, you have my number.

Writinggal said...

Frank: Yes, you will probably be in charge of the turkey but I'm taking out his insides which is the hard part.

Sorry, YOU'RE McDreamy!

Scott--You may get a call from McDreamy about that fried turkey.