Search This Blog

Monday, July 24, 2006

Six Months to Go

When my friend KK was approaching her 30th she made a big list of things she wanted to do in her 20’s. I remember one was “drink a bottle of Dom Perignon for no reason” and another was “run a half marathon.” I think the rest had to do with traveling to far-off lands.

Well as of today I have exactly six months until my 30th birthday so my list probably shouldn’t include wild travels (besides, I’ve already been to Waco). Also I’d prefer it if one of the goals wasn’t “go broke” so I probably won’t have anything too extravagant on mine. What does that leave?

Hmmm…I’ve always wanted to do a triathlon. I even started training a couple of years ago. And by “training” I mean that I tried to swim. I bought a special suit, goggles…even a cap. I learned that not only am I a really bad swimmer, I don’t even like it. So there goes that.

I’ve done a marathon and I don’t plan on doing that again but maybe I could do a really long bike race. Maybe Ride for the Roses with Lance? Oh, it looks like they changed it to "Livestrong Challenge.” I could do that. But I’d have to bug people to contribute. Plus, there’s the logistics of getting my bike to Austin…


And I refuse to jump out of an airplane. I don’t even like flying in airplanes…why would I want to jump out?

Okay, let’s forget physical challenges…maybe there are foods I’d like to try.

I’ve done Sushi. I’ve never had caviar…but then again, I’ve got my rule about not going broke. And I’m not eating anything too weird like worms or roaches. I’m turning 30, not going on Fear Factor.

Maybe I SHOULD try out for a reality show. I’ve aged out of Real World, Road Rules and Laguna Beach. I’d do the Apprentice but I don’t really like business. I’d do Martha Stewart’s Apprentice but I can’t bake.

That’s what I should do! I should vow to make a really good batch of brownies from scratch.

Okay, so here’s my list so far:

THINGS (or Thing) TO DO BEFORE I’M 30
Make a good batch of brownies from scratch.

I’ve got six months. I better start practicing. I’ll check back with you on January 24th to let you know how I did. Hey, maybe we can have my brownies with a bottle of Dom Perignon.

KK's buying.

.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can add 1 other item to your list... i've heard you pledge to not have a baby until after you're 30, so, add "not have a baby" - shouldn't be too hard to pull off since that takes longer than 6 months! ha! love, amy

Writinggal said...

Now that's not so much a "pledge" as much as it is an easy answer for a question I get asked on a daily basis.

Plus, you really can't be a mommy until you've mastered baking.

Anonymous said...

whoa... i never bake! good thing elle can't eat anything anyway!

Writinggal said...

I heard from KK via email: She says she'll have to dig up her list but here's what else she remembers: "I know buying nice jewelry, reading a book I never read in HS that I was supposed to read, and buying and wearing white pants were also on the list. Oh and taking an art class. I have re-deemed the list my "thirties" list vs. before 30. I had to go a bit easier on myself. :)"