Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Junior Banana Trick

When my friend Courtney (or “Court Report” as we like to call her) and I were driving back from the baby shower on Saturday we decided to pop into Sonic for their 99 cent junior banana split special. I know; I know. We had cucumber sandwiches at the shower. We had cake (a corner piece with lots of icing for me)! But still, all that talking and house touring made us hungry for something sweet. And we had both been eager to try this dessert. They only offered the full size banana splits back during my days at Sonic.

Flashback:

I remember on my first day when I was on drink duty, things got really hectic and Diane (the career car hop and the only one permitted to wear skates) said, “Hey, new girl, make a banana split!” What? I hadn’t been through the training on this yet! But stupidly I said, “Um, okay.” So I wandered around, looking for ingredients. I found the “boat” and the bananas but I didn’t really know the protocol. I just started dumping ice cream and whip cream and chocolate syrup all over it. It looked good to me!

Diane came rolling over to me, screaming, “What are you doing?? That’s not a banana split! How do you NOT know how to make a banana split the right way?” I screamed back, “Because I just started working here today! All you have to do is TELL me how to make the banana split and then I’ll know. I can’t just magically know how to do it!” (It could be that attitude that got my hours dropped down to three a week.)

Eventually I got good at making the B.S. And quite often, since we were so slow, people would order food and then drive off in frustration so I would eat it! I probably had a B.S. every day that summer. It was a little awkward when they came back though…

Okay, back to present day (or Saturday):

We order our junior banana splits and Court Report even said, “Should we get one for Frank?” I said, “Nah, we can just split mine.” Then I remembered the cupcake incident and opted to invest $.99 in another one. Good thing I did. They did not look like this:







They were absolutely miniature! I mean, if Matel made banana splits to go in the Barbie Dreamhouse, they would would model them after Sonic's. Now I didn’t take a picture of them but luckily this guy did:





He obviously feels the same we did about them.

Oh, and I saw this on the internet while I was looking for pics: If they say, “Would you like to add nuts?” and you say, “yes,” it’s gonna cost you $.10 more. Now that might not sound like much but as Frank would say, “That’s a 10% increase!” But if you’ve got old Diane delivering it to you on roller skates and she takes a tumble, well it just might be worth it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They always make the picture look sooo good and then waa laa doesn't look nearly as big and delicious...best banana split was when Grandma made them when we went to her house.

Anonymous said...

Good to know. I always liked when you had parties when you made them yourself with all the fixins. Mine was super messy!

Writinggal said...

At Sonic you can choose between the "classic" which includes pineapple sauce, strawberry sauce and chocolate or the version with just chocolate and caramel. Frank said that he would have preferred the choc/caramel one but then he thought, "Well, at least I'm getting in my fruits for the day."