Search This Blog

Thursday, July 20, 2006

WG Takes on Big Oil

Now I don’t usually get all into political, social or economical issues here on WG but I gotta bring up one: gas prices. And here’s what I have to say about them: they’re high. But I’ve figured out a way to combat them. Yesterday, I stopped driving.

That’s right. I didn’t leave the confines of my little Dallas neighborhood and I still had a very full day:

I worked: I wrote, researched, made revisions, talked to some Scientologists, called some martial arts experts (my job is very random and all over the place sometimes).

I worked out:
Went on an hour-long walk with Cul de Sac Carrie. And if there’s a heat index and a wind chill factor than there’s also a sweat scale. So if an hour-long walk in normal temps burns about 300 calories than an hour-long walk in 100 degree weather should burn about 475 calories. So I burned 475 calories without leaving my neighborhood.

I ate:
Frank even came home for lunch and then I ate about twelve other times besides that—all from our kitchen.

Now you might say, “But never leaving your neighborhood must get lonely, Elsa!”

No way. I even socialized: We had our Granbury Girls Pajama Jammy Jam last night where we ate breakfast food and drank champagne in our PJs.

I realize that at some point I will have to get in my car to buy groceries. BUT the Sig. Kroger is very close so I could feasibly ride my bike. (I mean, it’s obviously within walking distance since people push their carts from there.)

But then of course there’s CostCo. No way am I gonna balance giant boxes of Kashi while riding a bike. And restaurants. I may want to go out to eat at a place that’s not walkable or bikeable. Plus, who wants to show up to a restaurant all disheveled from a bike ride? And movies. I can barely make it there on time as it is. What if I had to leave two hours early just because I refuse to drive?

Yep, I think one day of car boycotting was enough for me. I’m still proud of myself. It’s so hippie granola of me. Next thing you know I’ll be living in a tree.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank DROVE home for lunch, right? So, he used the gas you would have used if you drove to the gym, Krogers or Cosco. Not only does he eat your cupcakes...he uses your gas! Love, Joanne (Frank's Mom)

Anonymous said...

True, Frank should take friday off to make up for the extra round trip he put in on Wednesday.

Writinggal said...

BUT by eating at home we saved $6.40 that he would have spent at the Frito Lay cafeteria.

Anonymous said...

yes, but big oil still wins.

Jessi said...

Pack him a lunch, then you'd really be saving!

Writinggal said...

Damn, big oil!! You always get me. Damn Frank and his fancy cafeteria lunch.