Search This Blog

Monday, July 17, 2006

My Rock (a-bye) Tour

Lately I’ve been hitting the baby shower circuit. If you invite me to a baby shower, here’s what to expect:

I will wear my baby shower ensemble which includes a black top and white flowing skirt with black flowers. I will sort of curl my hair but with the straightening iron (which baffles Frank). As soon as I get there I expect to pose with the mother-to-be and our mutual friends like this:




And like this:


Yes, these are two different occasions. I know; I look exactly the same.

You can almost always expect the same gift from me:



It’s a basket (or a pail in this case) with a bunch of essentials: baby lotion, baby shampoo, wipes, creams…it seems babies need more beauty products than we do!

I do this for two reasons:

a). I’m very practical and one of my favorite wedding presents was a basket full of cleaning supplies (Thanks, Aunt Sue Routzong!)

b). Because I can’t wrap presents and this doesn’t take a whole lot of wrapping but still looks cute. And hello? You can keep the basket/pail for storing all this stuff.


In return, I expect a stiff drink (I don’t care if it’s 11am; if you want me to get excited about a diaper genie, I’m going to need alcohol.) So far, on my tour of baby showers, nobody’s disappointed in this area. There’s always some champagne-mixed drink. This weekend the choice was between mimosas and pink lemonade. Now the pink lemonade didn’t come with champagne but I didn’t see any problem with mixing a little in there. Good idea, Courtney!

I also expect some good food. Again, everybody has come through on this one. You can count on some good egg casseroles and even cucumber sandwiches! I love me a good cucumber sandwich and you really only see them at showers. And remember, I like cake with LOTS of icing so save me a corner piece.

When I’m done stuffing my face, I like a very thorough tour of the hostess’ house. Don’t skip the garage, the closets or the laundry room. The inside of the fridge is preferable but optional.

Oh, and I’m okay with baby shower games as long as I don’t have to guess how big the mom-to-be is with some toilet paper. Come on, does anything good ever come out of that?

So please keep all of the above in mind when you invite me to your baby shower. I need to go wash my outfit so it’s ready for the next one. And you need to get going on those cucumber sandwiches!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you wear that baby shower outfit in the winter or do you have one for each season? Just wondering.

Jessi said...

I'm into giving practical gifts too.

I've got Justin trained for his work baby showers (silly I know). He gets baby detergent and calls it good. I don't even think he wraps it cause it's already pink!

Writinggal said...

I just throw a sweater over it for the winter :)

That's actually a really good idea, Jessi! But what if it's a boy?

Jessi said...

Wrap it boy style. Easy. Oh and throw in some wipes. Those boys are messy ;)

j/k

Anonymous said...

The sweater could be blue for boy and pink for girl and if they are waiting to see the sex go yellow.