Search This Blog

Monday, June 12, 2006

Pink with Envy


This weekend I attended a baby shower in honor of my oldest friend, Misty. No, she’s not 93, she’s just the first friend I ever had. While it was great to see the expectant mommy and other old friends, the event also brought up some feelings of jealousy. You see, Misty was wearing pink pants which reminded me of another pair of pink pants she had when we were about eight-years-old.

I think she got this outfit for Christmas or her birthday or maybe it was just Tuesday but here’s what it looked like:

Pink parachute pants—complete with plenty of pockets and silver zippers.
A grey, purposely torn, off-the-shoulder t-shirt that said “Flashdance” in pink letters across it.
Pink Converse

How cool is that? There were so many variables that escalated my envy:

I didn’t have parachute pants in any color (and I’m pretty sure Misty had black ones too).

I wasn’t allowed to see Flashdance (neither was she, by the way). In fact, I still haven’t seen it. Gonna have to rent that classic.

I didn’t own a pair of Converse in any color and I know Misty had the pink ones and turquoise among others.

The only pair of pink pants I had were cotton and pleated and I think they were Osh Kosh B’Gosh.

Later, my jealousy would resurrect when Misty (and every other 7th grader but me) all came back from Christmas break with Z Cavarricis.

So there’s only one thing I can do to rectify the situation. When I have a daughter I will definitely buy her the outfit described above (“What the heck is Flashdance, mom? Is it some sort of strip club?”) and I’ll buy Misty’s daughter a brand spanking new outfit courtesy of Osh Kosh B’Gosh.

4 comments:

Jessi said...

Misty's pregnant? How exciting!

Writinggal said...

She's due in August. And her little girl will be well dressed too. She got the cutest little shoes--cowgirl boots, galoshes, ballet slippers, sneakers...no Converse though.

Jessi said...

Well you'll have to buy them for her. And then be jealous all over again. :)

Writinggal said...

I knew we had a special connection, Tucker.