Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Evite Etiquette


My whole social calendar revolves around Evite. It’s not that I’m like a major butterfly or anything but my friends like to do Evites for even the smallest of gatherings. Cul de Sac Carrie even sent one JUST to me!

So since I’m a regular, I’m pretty familiar with the Evite functionality. Apparently, some people aren’t. That’s why I thought I’d offer this brief FREE workshop which I’m calling “Evite Etiquette.”

IF YOU CAN ATTEND:
Please note that the “yes” bubble is automatically checked for you so you don’t need to do anything there. All you have to do is decide if you want to make a comment. This is encouraged. It makes the event more anticipatory for the attendees. If you’re not so clever just write, “Can’t wait!” or “Looking forward to it!” There’s really no need, however, to say “I’m in!” This is repetitive as your name already appears in the “yes” column.

Also, if you add a “plus one” please come forward with the name of that “plus one” otherwise we’ll all discuss it behind your back: “Who’s she bringing?” “Is it a date?” “Is it just her cousin?” “Does she think her dog counts as ‘plus one?’”

IF YOU CANNOT ATTEND
You MUST move your checked bubble to “NO” otherwise your reply will end up in the “yes” problem with a note like “So sorry but we will be drinking margaritas in Mexico at that time. Have fun anyway!” This completely messes up the head count tally for the host.

And speaking of your excuse, you needn’t make it lengthy. This just make the party look lame because the “No” list looks longer than it really is.

Oh, and BIG Evite Pet Peeve: DO NOT add a “plus one” or “plus five” or any plusses whatsoever in the “no” category. This is just like saying, “Not only am I not coming, but my boyfriend isn’t either and neither are any of my friends. Your party sucks.”

IF YOU’RE NOT SURE YOU CAN ATTEND
Go ahead and move your checked bubble to “maybe” BUT when you have a firm answer (which you should by the time the reminder goes out) please move your checked bubble to either “yes” or “no.” I once hosted a party with six “maybes” and had a mini-panic attack when I couldn’t decide how many individual parfaits to make.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON’T FAIL TO REPLY
I have been known to remove people from future guest lists simply for not responding to an Evite. This is as rude as leaving your trash in a movie theater, as despicable as not calling your mom on her birthday and yes, even as appalling as leaving your cart in the grocery store parking lot.

When you fail to reply it’s like saying, “I don’t care that you took the time to invite me. I don’t have any respect for your party, your planning, your time, your friendship.”

Do you non-repliers not know that the host can see that you checked the Evite? We can also see WHEN you checked it. And if you check it more than one day, we can see that too. So if you’re one of those disorganized people who can’t keep up with their emails (don’t even get me started), just reply as soon as you open the Evite. As stated above, you can say “maybe” and then when the reminder goes out, change it.

I hope this workshop has been helpful to you. Please refer to it next time you receive an Evite. Oh, and happy partying!

7 comments:

Jessi said...

I love to see who's looked. Cause then I can say "I know you know about it, you opened it!"

Anonymous said...

I got evited to a pool party last weekend and didn't know who the person was inviting me, or even who the party was for. i figured it out by looking at the list (of 50+) invites and saw that it containted people I play softball with. The b-day person only came to one game and he sucked.

Do I still have to reply to that one?

Anonymous said...

you can also tell the people who view it everyday before replying to see who else is coming. evite is fun.
Evite is much better than RSVP invitations because noone actually calls to rsvp.

Writinggal said...

Don't even get me started on people not RSVPing!

And Scott, yes you have to reply! Someone thought enough of you to include you so you have to respond one way or another.

Anonymous said...

all they did was copy the softball email list and insert it. i am ok with my decision. if I know the people inviting, then i always respond.

Writinggal said...

Fine. You're excused in that case.

Anonymous said...

I am with you Elsa!!