Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Bring Back the Home Tour





If you come into my house I’ll offer you food, drink and a tour. The tour is not my way of saying, “My house is so awesome; you have to check it out” but rather “I know you are probably curious about what is beyond the kitchen, living room and half-bath and I’ve got nothing to hide. Let’s have a look.”

I’ll show you the laundry room, the bedrooms, the other bathrooms and even the closets. So you better be ready for a thorough tour. Most people are delighted to go on a tour. They enthusiastically say, “Sure!” when I offer it up and what I think they’re really saying is, “I thought you’d never ask.”

But I’ll tell you who never does ask: the rest of you. Rarely do I go into a house and get a tour. I realize people aren’t being rude; they just don’t think about it. They’re sort of over their house so they can’t imagine why anyone would want to see it. Well I want to see it. I want to see everybody’s house. I don’t care if you live in a duplex! I used to give tours of my duplex all the time. It didn’t take very long but I still gave them.

Sometimes, depending on the situation and the homeowner, I’ll ask: “So are we gonna get a tour?” Other times I’ll have to sneak in my own tour: “Your half-bath is occupied. Is there another one I could use?”

But just so I don’t have to resort to self-guided snooping tours, I’m trying to spread the word. That’s one of the reasons I offer the tour, so when I come to your house you’ll return the favor. Plus, what’s the point of having all those other rooms (and decorating them and keeping them clean) if nobody ever sees them?

Of course, if you’re a secret hoarder we can skip the tour. And the food.

5 comments:

Thea said...

"Plus, what’s the point of having all those other rooms (and decorating them and keeping them clean) if nobody ever sees them?"

well, that's exactly it! In my case, it's probably because the second floor isn't clean. It's amazing how many people I've had over (even on multiple occasions) who have never seen the upstairs.

Jessi said...

I don't think I gave you and Frank a tour of our house. Maybe I drank too much to remember to give one.

I'm sorry. Come back anytime.

Writinggal said...

Thea: Your upstairs is clean when I've seen it but maybe that's because you know I'm coming.

Jessi: You DID give us a tour--a great one! We saw all the pics in the upstairs hallway, the little balcony off the master...I remember it well.

(Welcome home!)

Anonymous said...

I agree Thea. Usually I throw things into the rooms I think people will not go in.
Of course I am just a messy person.
I do love tours though!

Anonymous said...

I've seen thea's upstairs when she didn't know i was coming over.....nuf said :)