Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I have a dream

I’ve heard it all when it comes to guessing the baby’s sex: the way you’re carrying, the way your back looks, how sick you are during pregnancy, whether or not you have heartburn, the way a ring swings when it’s held in front of your belly on a string and some trick involving pee and Drano.

I don’t buy any of those.

But then my neighbor told me about dreams. She said that she heard that the mother’s dreams are 90% accurate. It happened to her. She dreamt she was having a girl and she did. Another neighbor said she dreamt that she had the baby and everyone was saying, “It’s a boy!” and she kept insisting that it was girl. And in real life she had a girl.

So even though I don’t want to know what BS is, I’ve been hoping to have one of these dreams. A couple of weeks ago I had one that went like this:

Me: “Hey, there’s my baby and it’s a girl!”
Random dream person: “No, that’s not your baby.”
Me: “Oh, then there’s my baby and it’s a boy!”
Random dream person: “That’s not your baby either.”

Confusing.

I told my friend Jaime about my dream. She said, “I’ve always heard that you dream the opposite of what you’re having.” She dreamed about boys and had three girls.

Well, at this rate I might as well get out the Drano.

But then last night I had an interesting dream. I’ll detail it here and let you decide what to make of it:

Me: “Oh, look, a box came in the mail.”
Enter some girl who said she was my neighbor in my dream but I’ve never seen her before. She said she used to be a nurse so she knows a lot about babies. Oh, and she wore her pants up really high. So this stranger/neighbor/nurse/high-waisted-girl says, “That’s your baby. It’s not exactly born yet but it’s what you get in the mail right before the baby is born.”

So I open the box and there’s a baby in there! But it’s more like a doll. She said, “You don’t have to feed it yet but you probably should change it.”

“But I don’t want to know the sex,” I insisted.

“The hospital knows if you don’t want to know so they will have covered all that up with a blue paste.” She then checked the baby and said, “Yep, it’s got the blue paste.”

I remember distinctly saying this in the dream: “So that blue paste could potentially cover up a baby penis?”

“Yes,” she assured me.

I looked down at the baby and it was wrapped in a pink blanket. I said, “This baby totally looks like a boy to me. I’m almost positive it’s a boy.”

Then Frank got home and I had put the baby back in the box. I told him the situation and the stranger/neighbor/nurse girl backed me up.

He said, “I don’t think we should look at the baby before it’s born. Let’s keep it in the box.”

And that’s what we did.

So this dream could mean that BS is a boy since I was very certain about it. Or is Jaime’s theory right and the mom dreams the opposite of what she’s having? And what’s up with that pink blanket?

I’m pretty sure none of it means anything since BS also had a full head of black hair.

2 comments:

Jacquie said...

I still have dreams that Colman is a girl... I'm a little scared what that might mean!

Writinggal said...

Ha! That's funny. I just noticed that my boy votes went up after that blog. Interesting.