Search This Blog

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Have you met my cousins?

When I worked at the driving school my boss called me “cuz.” As in cousin. I always wanted to say, “I’m not your cousin! I’m not related to you in any way, football coach/history teacher/driving school owner.”

But I don’t know why I was against it. I mean, I only have one first cousin of my own:

Cousin Claire, age 18:



Frank, on the other hand, has 21 FIRST cousins! And they’re still making more. There’s another one due in a few weeks. Then he’ll have 22. Cousins are great because they’re sort of like siblings but you don’t live with them. You’re related so you’re permitted to fight but you don’t really have a reason to fight with them since you’re not sharing a bathroom.

The cool thing about Frank’s cousins is that most of them are around his age. The other cool thing is that they’re all cool people. Like if I met these 21 cousins another way, I would be friends with them. Frank’s got 21 built-in friends.

The other day I was on the phone with one of Frank’s cousins and I heard her say to a friend in the room, “I’m talking to my cousin.”

I thought that was sweet. She didn’t say, “I’m talking to my cousin’s wife” or “I’m talking to some random girl who I’m sort of related to.” She thinks of me as her cousin.

And Frank’s other cousins do the same thing. When they introduce me they say, “This is my cousin, Elsa.” And they never clarify that I’m not actually their cousin. In fact, sometimes people say, “Oh, I can see that. You look alike!” Then I feel the need to clarify.

You’d think that with all those cousins they would say, “No more. We’re full.” But they’re a quite accepting group. In fact, if you count spouses, Frank’s got (I mean, we’ve got) 27 cousins! If you are intrigued and want to be one of Frank's cousins, you probably can be. Just as long as you like to drink. And you let us call you "cuz."



Fun with my cousins:

















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like cousins are mostly FUN! Thanks for sharing them with us.