Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

It’s Lent: Can’t be Late



Here’s what I’m giving up for Lent: running late. It’s the first time I’ve given up something that’s not edible (or drinkable). One year it was caffeine and carbonated beverages, one year it was meat, one year it was alcohol. So this year, when I thought of what I could give up, all I could come up with were things that go in my mouth.

But let’s be honest, don’t we just give up those things in hopes that we’ll shed a few pounds and say it’s in the name of religion? I mean, do you think that’s what Jesus was doing when he fasted for 40 days/40 nights?

Plus, I’ve already had to give up a lot of food and beverages because of the pregnancy: alcohol, deli meat, sushi, soft cheeses…it’s like Lent every day around here.

So back to my Lenten promise: I’m going to get places on time, even early. I don’t know when it happened, but in the last couple of years I’ve become one of those annoying people who’s late to everything. It’s not that often that I actually show up late; I just run late and therefore show up exactly on time but frazzled and hyperventilating.

I just always push it. Like if I decide I need fifteen minutes to get somewhere, I’ll START to leave 15 minutes prior. So that means I still have to go to the bathroom, brush my teeth, grab my purse, get into the car, realize I forgot my phone, go back into the house to get my phone, realize that I’m thirsty, grab some water, go to the bathroom again…by the time I actually drive out of the driveway, I only have eight minutes to get to my destination.

Frank called me out on it: “Are you going to be ready on time?” he asked one day.

“Of course,” I said. “I’m ready to go now. I just need to finish putting on my make-up.”

“That’s not ready to go,” he informed me.

“Well I won’t be late,” I insisted.

“Yes, you will be. You’re always late.”

“I am?”

“Yes. Like to the doctor’s office. To spin class. Everywhere. You’re that girl who’s always late.”

“Oh my gosh. I AM that girl! I hate that girl!”

He even had to implement trickery to get me to be somewhere on time the other day. I had a massage appointment at 5:15pm and since that would be during rush hour, Frank told me, “If I were you, I would leave an hour before.” I assured him that I would.

I called him when I was on my way, 30 minutes before the appointment. “I’m leaving the house,” I told him, ready for my scolding. To my surprise he said, “Good. You should get there on time.”

“But you said I should leave an hour before. It’s only half an hour before.”

“I know. I said that so that you would leave a half an hour before.”

Sneaky. I got there right at 5:15 on the nose.

So here is how I’m going to attack my tardy problem during Lent:




  1. When I calculate how long it will take to get somewhere, I will increase that time 25%. So, for instance, if I think it will take me 15 minutes to get somewhere, I will plan to leave…getting the calculator…18.75 minutes prior.

  2. I will plan ahead so that I can take care of any problems that may hinder my punctuality. For instance, rather than getting dressed and prepared for spin class right before it’s time to leave, I will do it earlier so I won’t have to run back in to get my heart rate monitor or water bottle.

  3. I will post a sign in my office reminding myself, “Plan Ahead so you Don’t Run Late!” (Done)
It may be my biggest challenge (after the sober Lent of ’05) but I have resolved to fix my sluggish ways…at least until Easter.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great practice for motherhood! You have to factor in even more stuff before you leave the house! (Is the diaper bag packed, Is the baby dressed? Where did his other sock go? Can I find 2 matching socks? Do I smell like spit-up? Can I find a clean shirt that matches my pants so I don't have to totally change clothes?)

Writinggal said...

But the baby won't be born until after Easter...I plan to go back to my tardy ways by then!

Anonymous said...

How did the daughter of Ron Weidman become a tardy person?

Writinggal said...

Maybe all of that pressure for punctuality backfired. But I'm a changed woman now. I got to the YMCA 30 minutes before my spin class today. I sat in the car and listened to my book on tape (which is actually on a CD).

Anonymous said...

I know Ron Weidman and no daughter of his would ever be late. Who are you, writinggal?

Writinggal said...

I'm the girl who got to the doctor 15 minutes early today!