Search This Blog

Monday, February 25, 2008

Bye-bye, Bug

Sure, I could have kept the Beetle. I mean, a two-door convertible with a tiny backseat and an even tinier trunk wouldn’t be that terrible for a baby, right? BS probably would have liked the wind in his/her hair. Britney’s kids seem to enjoy it.


But I kept imagining people saying, “A BABY? In a BUG?” I knew that these people, however hypothetical and imaginary they were, were right.

I tried to convince Frank to just trade me cars:

“I’ll drive the Accord and you can drive the Bug.”

“The Bug is a girl’s car. It has a flower in it,” he said.

“But we can take out the flower.”

“But then I would be driving the Bug and you wouldn’t be…and you’re the one who wants to drive it so what’s the point of keeping it?”

He was right. And how could I be the Super Mom to his Super Dad if I didn’t mommy up and get an appropriate vehicle?

Yesterday we went car shopping. I told the Bug before we left, “Don’t worry. We’re not giving you up just yet. You’ve still got a few more weeks.”

But then there was this car we liked and rumblings of a good deal on our trade-in and the next thing I knew, we were back at home, rounding up the Bug.

The Bug looked totally betrayed. In fact, if it could talk, it would have said, “Et tu, Writinggal?” And then as we drove back to the dealership that really awesome Taylor Swift song, “Tears on my Guitar” was playing. It made me have tears on my Bug. It’s just like when we test drove the Bug and my fave song of the moment, “Pieces of Me” by Ashlee Simpson was on.

The tears would have been heavier had it been a sunny day and we had been driving with the top down. I was grateful for the gloom.

I was sad for me but mostly I was sad for the Bug. We just left it there at this car dealership. It was Toyota so there weren’t even other Bugs there for it to hang out with. When they moved it from the customer parking lot, I asked the guy where they were going to take it. He said, “To the back.” I said, “With the dented and totaled cars??!!” tears forming again.

And here I am crying again as I write this blog. We’re going to blame it on hormones. Cut to the blog slideshow!

1 comment:

Liz said...

Oh. I'm sad too! I don't think it's just hormones... when I get rid of my Audi, I'm going to cry too. There's something very sentimental about cars. :(