Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

It's Beginning to SMELL a lot like Christmas

I figured out why it’s so hard for me to de-sugar. My whole house smells of it. No, not because I spilled multiple packets of Splenda on my kitchen floor or because I have a tray of cookies left over from the cookie exchange or because Frank keeps bringing home little packets of Grandma’s cookies (the brand, not actually made by our grandmothers) although these are all true. It’s because of another reason unrelated to food.

I keep buying or receiving candles, potpourri and bath products that smell like dessert! I used to avoid these types of aromas (like the fresh-baked cookie spray real estate agents use when showing houses). But then Cul de Sac Carrie gave me a banana cream pie candle and it was like a sugar sanctuary. I couldn’t get enough of that candle. Then there was the sweet nectar candle from Shannon. Oh, and this other honey-smelling one from Amber. I was hooked. I’m an edicandle addict. (That’s the cutsey name I’ve given them; it’s like edible and candle. Clever, huh?)

So last week I was in Canton—the edicandle capital of the world—and I decided I needed more of ‘em. I sniffed and sniffed and kept passing up regular scented candles like “lavender” and “spring morning” and “ocean breeze” in favor of more appetizing aromas like “sugar cookie” and “chocolate fudge pie” and “rolo cookies the way Mandy makes them.” (A girl can dream, can’t she?)

I settled on banana nut bread although baked apple pie was a close second. I love my BNB candles! I burn them all the time. But as you can imagine, it makes it difficult to de-sugar.

And it doesn’t help that this weekend I received a big bottle of egg nog at a party. No, it’s not to drink. It’s to wash my hair AND body! I freakin’ love egg nog and now I’m craving it in the shower. In fact, I crave it all day long since my hair and skin smell of it. One whiff of me and you’ll be a little bit dundies.

So no more de-sugaring for me until January but that will be tough with my birthday coming up. Hey, if you don’t know what to get me, I’ve got three words for you: cookie cake edicandle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a Banana Nut Bread Candle and it is wonderful, especially with a new puppy in the house.

I hate those candles that smell like lavendar and the ocean, it just smells like soap to me.

Writinggal said...

I hate the smell of bananas but I love the smell of banana nut bread and banana cream pie. Weird.

Anonymous said...

i just got a christmas sugar cookie candle from my sis and i love it! but both david & i have been craving cookies and cakes for the last week... we finally figured out the culprit - the amazing cookie candle! they should really come with a whole sheet cake or something.

Writinggal said...

If candles can really cause cravings then I better get a broccoli candle. Just don't come over.