Search This Blog

Monday, December 18, 2006

Monday Musings


How excited were we to receive our big blue recycle bin? For years the City of Dallas has been saying, “People just don’t recycle here. In other cities like Houston and Austin people recycle. We can’t figure out why they won’t do it here.”

I’m sure it took 37 task forces, 423 hours of meetings and a baker’s dozen focus groups to come to this conclusion:

Unlike Houston and Austin, the people of Dallas have nothing to put their recyclables in!

And thus the big blue bin was born.

Woah, I just got all political there for a second.

We drove down our alley Saturday night and saw that some of the neighbors had them. I immediately got defensive: “Why didn’t we get one? We recycle more than they do! And those guys? They drive a gas guzzler! They don’t deserve the big blue bin. I mean, we even wrap our presents with newspaper, that’s how green we are.” But when we opened our front door we found it; sitting out there like a big early Christmas present from the sanitation department. “We got one! We got one!” I screamed.

And the gift-giving didn’t end there. Frank and I also exchanged presents. If you know us well, you know that we're very sentimental and sometimes a little bit extravagant with our gifts. For instance:

Me: “Oh, look It’s a broom.”
Frank: "It's not just any broom. It's the Dirt Devil Broom Vac."


Me: “Oh, that is so romantic. You really went too far but thanks so much!”

(And that is how Frank conned me into doing housework on Saturday night.)




While I broom-vacked, he lounged around in his new, equally expensive “Frank the Tank” t-shirt.





Speaking of lounging, the Little Miss Sunshine DVD comes out tomorrow and I can’t wait to lounge around and watch it. It was the best movie I saw this year but Frank hasn’t seen it yet.

And I just found out that he also hasn’t seen Miracle on 34th Street (the good version; i.e. with Natalie Wood) so we’re going to watch that on Christmas Eve because it’s playing over and over again on AMC.


Hopefully, I can get him to watch both of these movies; I have a feeling all he’ll want to do is dance around with my new Christmas present.


I’m just glad it's the broom-vac and not the recycle bin.





4 comments:

Jessi said...

I'm so excited for Little Miss Sunshine too. It was the best movie this year! But I can't watch it til Christmas morning when I open it and act all surprised.

Writinggal said...

I'm sure I've hyped it up too much for Frank but hopefully he'll like it. If not, he can sweep the floors.

Anonymous said...

I want to buy L.M.S too!! And I also want that broom-vac that puts an end to unwanted regular dirt devil back pain!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Best Buy opens early tomorrow and I can get "Little Miss Sunshine" on the way to work!

I am so excited! I only own 2 movies (Office Space and Finding Nemo), so my must really like it.