Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

GORE-geous Wrapping

Al would be proud. Leo would pat me on the back. And Ed Begley, Jr….well, he’d probably start to sob with joy.

We’ve gone environmental for Christmas. Check it out:




The beauty of the whole thing is that the benefits of my wrapping paper plan are five-fold:

1-Fold: I write for the newspaper so it’s like personalizing the presents. (Well, personal to me, the giver—not really to the receiver. We thought about also wrapping presents in chip bags but the only bag we currently have is Tostitos and it’s see-through plus all the crumbs…attracts Christmas critters.)

2-Fold: I can’t wrap so this gives me an excuse for the packages to be ugly in a “Oh, look, a five-year-old wrapped them” sort of way.

3-Fold: You know we Simciks aren’t big spenders.

4-Fold: That whole environmental thing

5-Fold: I forgot…maybe it will come to me.

We had a handful of presents to wrap last night so we began our assembly line. Frank did the actual wrapping and I did the bow-tying and decorating (finally found a use for those glitter pens). And even though Frank did an excellent job folding, cutting and taping, he sometimes got distracted and started reading our eco-wrapping paper. I guess that's one of the drawbacks.


Here’s how they look under our tree:


I love it! I’m going to keep staring at them until that fifth fold comes to me. Maybe by Christmas.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is a great idea. I always thought wrapping presents was a waste anyway. I just get excited and want to give it to the person.
Maybe you could use paper shopping bags as "gift bags"!!

Anonymous said...

6 Fold: You can tell who's been shaking their gifts by the ink stains on their hands.

Writinggal said...

Good folds, everyone!

Frank was wrapping one last night and said, "Oops...better not use the obituaries."

Anonymous said...

Frank's Dad used to always wrap presents in his parent's newspapers (his favorite was the comics). But his mom (nana) would yell at him and told him he was "cheap." Being the good son, he gave up on newspaper wrappings.
Joanne

Writinggal said...

Well, he will have a trip down memory lane this Christmas when he opens his present from us and it's wrapped with Family Circle!

Writinggal said...

I meant Family CIRCUS (as in the comics, not the women's magazine).