Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Just my Type



Coordination is not my forte. I’m not good at dancing, step aerobics or juggling. But there is one thing I’m really good at it and it does require coordination: typing. I freakin’ rock at typing.

I’m working on this little project for my spin classes which requires me to type a lot of information into a lot of spreadsheets. I was typing it this morning and I was like, “Look at me go! I type so fast!” And I’m not just tooting my own horn here (although I am); other people have witnessed my phenomenal typing skills and praised them.

How did I get to be so good? My typing teacher in 7th grade. We were all required to take one semester of typing and one semester of computer literacy. (And back then that meant that I created some “program” that made the computer draw a hot air balloon. I can’t believe I didn’t end up becoming the next Bill Gates.)

In typing class we typed on old-school typewriters—you know, the kind that make the ding noises and you have to push them back to the beginning of the line? Okay, I don’t think I had to physically push it back; I think by then they went back on their own. I’m not that old. But still, they were quite archaic. Like you couldn’t make mistakes. If you did; you had to use White Out. Ha, remember White Out? I digress.

Anyway, we were evaluated by our GWAM—Gross Words a Minute. I don’t really know what that means but mine was high. I got to be in this club called “speed busters” and I was the first one to make it into the SB club in my class. I was a typing force to be reckoned with.

That semester I got totally into typing. Like I would be having a conversation with someone and they would say, “What are you doing with your hands?” and I was like, “I’m typing out everything you’re saying.” I would do it when teachers would talk, in movies…I think I might still do it.

Then in college word got out about my mad typing skills. Rich girls paid me to type their papers for them. Yes, they would actually hand-write their papers and I would type them. Okay, it was just one rich girl but she gave me $20 per assignment. Hey, where is that girl? I would gladly still do that.

So I always want to thank my typing teacher. I mean, I might not even have this incredibly successful and lucrative blog if it weren’t for her. I’ve never made a major attempt to find her but the other day while I was teaching a spin class I saw her daughter out in the gym! I thought that if I ran into her afterwards I would tell her to tell her mom that I use the skills from her class in my career.

She’d probably think I was a court reporter which I always thought would be cool. I could combine my love of typing with my love of knowing other people’s business.

Just as long as I didn’t have to juggle.

7 comments:

Liz said...

HA!!! And this is why we're friends. I was just telling someone the other day how I air-type with my fingers. I had the same experience but my typing started in 2nd grade. And my most-typed sentence of all time was from my third grade science fair:

The effect of different pollutants on the buoyancy of feathers.

Don't know what I learned during that project, but it was a darn good sentence.

Writinggal said...

Air typers rule!

But as your frie and fellow AT, I have to tell you, I don't think that's a sentence.

Anonymous said...

I never had to take typing, so I am a self taught typist.
I actually type very fast now, but not as fast as my co-wroker Suzy.
You always know she is in the office even if you have not seen her, because you hear the keyboard clicking away at rapid fire speed.
I agree with WG Liz, that is a title, not a sentence!!

Anonymous said...

My typing is average but I can blaze up a 10-key. Give me a list of numbers and I'll add them in record time.

Writinggal said...

And you're good at that text messaging thing that all the kids are doin', TfT.

Liz said...

Well, that's what I meant people. It was the TITLE of my science project. So I had to type it about a million times before I knew what copy/paste was.

p.s. Elsa, I watched Anne of Green Gables this weekend and thought of my kindred spirit up there in Dallas. :)

Writinggal said...

You watched it without me?

I'm in the depths of despair.