Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

More Frankosophies

These Frankosophies have to do with economics. Frank was an economics major in college. He actually got two degrees—one in economics and one in marketing. And he has an MBA. This all prompted the conversation that lead me to feel like an academic loser when we moved into our first home:


Frank: “So we could hang one of my degrees here…and the other one here…and the third one here. And then we could put your two degrees on that wall.”

Me: “Um, two degrees? I just have one.”

Frank: “Really?”

Me: “Yes. Most people just have one.”

Frank (trying to make me feel like less of a moron): “But hey, yours is a Bachelors of SCIENCE. You’re like a scientist!”

Me: “Yes, a scientist of advertising. Let me get my lab coat.”

So anyway, Frank, the brilliant economist, has a theory about inflation. He believes he has discovered two areas that haven’t been affected by inflation:

1. Lap Dances
2. Lawn mowing services


Now, about #1: Frank doesn't frequent gentlemen's establishments so he's hardly an expert. He just goes for the obligatory bachelor party. But he swears that the price for lap dances has not increased. And even though Frank has told me about this Frankosophy, I don’t know the going rate for lap dances. I tried to Google it just now but got a bunch of different answers: from free to $200. So maybe Frank is just going to the cheap places.




When we had someone mow our lawn in Dallas, they charged us $10 (backyard only). The whole lawn would have been $20. Every time they came to mow the lawn, Frank would launch into his Frankosophy :

“When I mowed lawns in junior high I charged $20. In high school I charged $20. And today, these guys charge $20. The price never changes! It hasn’t gone up in at least 15 years! It’s incredible. You would think they could charge more by now.”

Despite this economic oversight, he still couldn’t stand paying someone to mow the lawn and bought his own lawn mower.

Let me know if you can think of any other service or good that hasn't been affected by inflation. I would try to come up with some but what do I know? I'm just a scientist.


No comments: