Search This Blog

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Why Taylor Swift Rocks


When it comes to country chicks, some prefer the over-singing, over-made-up Carrie Underwood. Others fall for the “It’s cute that I’m so dumb because I’m so cute, right?” Kellie Pickler. Me? I’m all about Taylor Swift.

First, I just love every song she sings. Like turn-it-up-belt-it-out-sometimes-even-shed-a-tear love her songs. These are my faves:

Tim McGraw (that’s the name of a song, her breakout hit): “When you think Tim McGraw, I hope you think my favorite song, The one we danced to all night long”

Teardrops on my Guitar: He's the reason for the teardrops on my guitar, the only thing that keeps me wishin' on a wishin' star. He's the song in the car I keep singin', don't know why I do...

Our Song: Our song is the slamming screen door, sneakin' out late, tapping on your window, when we're on the phone and you talk real slow, cause it's late and your mama don't know. Our song is the way you laugh, the first date "man, I didn't kiss her, and I should have"And when I got home, before I said amen, asking God if he could play it again

Then I saw her on Regis and Kelly and liked her even more: she’s only, like, 17, and she wrote a lot of those songs. She wrote “Our Song” for her freshman year talent show!

When we figured out how to watch videos on demand on our DVR, I showed Frank the video for Our Song and then I explained to him what a freakin’ genius TS is: “Did you listen to the lyrics? It’s about how this couple didn’t have a song and then he explained to her that all the little moments in their lives are the soundtrack of their relationship. I already thought it was a great idea for a song and then I found out she wrote it when she was only like 14! And she actually plays the guitar. She’s really a great role model."

I was really emotional as I gave my Taylor Swift endorsement. Frank just asked, “Is her hair crimped like the 80s?”

“It’s just naturally curly!!” I said in her defense.

And today I heard Teardrops on my Guitar where she talks about this guy Drew and how she loves him and on the surface it sounds like just a typical love song. But really, when she says, “he’s the kind of flawless I wish I could be” I realized that she’s not really in love with Drew; she puts him up on a pedestal and is actually envious of him. She’s so deep, that Taylor Swift.

But I’m too old to join her fan club or go to her concerts. But maybe she'll be my MySpace friend!

No comments: