Search This Blog

Friday, March 14, 2008

Shepherd’s Pie: My Oh My

A website was pushing Irish recipes so I decided to try Shepherd’s Pie. I didn’t know what it was but when I read the ingredients I thought:

Beef: Good!
Mash Potatoes: Good!
Gravy: Good!
Cheese: Good!
Vegetables Good! (Well, good for you)

I want to tell you three things about this Shepherd’s Pie:

1. How good it was
2. How I peeled the potatoes
3. How Frank ranked it

So here we go:

1. It was really good.


2. Even though the recipe said I could make instant mashed potatoes, I got ambitious and decided to make real ones. I am not good with potatoes. I never cook them long enough and as I discovered Wednesday, I don’t know how to peel them.

This is pretty embarrassing to admit but when I went to peel the potatoes, I couldn’t figure out how to use the peeler. I needed help. I don’t have a trusted staff at Writinggal or Cookinggal headquarters so I had to rely on a friend—
the internet. I actually Googled “How to peel a potato.” Things popped up but they weren’t that helpful. I needed a visual aid. I added “+ video” to my search and found this easier way to peel potatoes

Guess what? It actually worked! I was just like the lady in the video. The skin came right off. Thea, would you be offended if I got rid of the potato peeler you gave me?

3. So I made the Shepherd’s Pie and when Frank had his first bite, as usual, he announced his ranking: “This is so good. I can’t decide if I should give it an 8.5 or a 9.”

Now let me back up and say that these are both extremely high scores. As Frank says, “I don’t just throw out tens left and right!” That’s true. The only thing to ever get a ten was drop cookies. And if it has vegetables, it automatically loses a point. It's like a figure skater getting a nine when she didn’t even attempt a triple axle. That’s the highest she can get so she's stoked.

Then he took another bite and said, “I give it an 8!”

“An eight? Why did I get downgraded?” I asked.

“Well, I was deciding between 8.5 and 9 and I decided on 8.5. But I don’t like to give halves so I went with 8.”

I also got credit for “good amount of spiciness” (which I added in myself; it wasn’t even in the recipe). I’m such a wild, Irish Cookinggal!

5 comments:

Thea said...

Too funny! The minute I read "How I peeled potatoes" I thought "hey, she's going to talk about my peeler!" But alas...

After watching that video I might throw out my own peeler! That was awesome! The things Google can teach you! I might have to steal this one and pass it off as a Tip from Thea.

Writinggal said...

I was doing the new-peeling-method when we were on the phone! You can totally multi-task and peel.

Liz said...

After seeing that video, I watched all 14 of the Sprint "save time" videos. Those are awesome! I'm going to teach them to my mom and grandma, too. :)

dad simcik said...

Wow this is rough for my childhood as I felt inadequate as I could not peel the potatoe close enough to not save the white part of the potatoe and after years got better in my desire to please---- well what a cool way and potatoes for a family of 10 was always peeling potatoes the kids job to help mom thanks DAD SIMCIK

Writinggal said...

I'm not going to tell my eight kids about this new tactic. They should have to learn how to peel the old-fashioned way!