Search This Blog

Thursday, January 03, 2008

License Plate Game




On our recent road trip to Texas we played the riveting license plate game. When we arrived in Houston I proudly showed my dad our list. We had found 24 license plates—including Alaska and Canada! He was impressed until we mentioned that we found many of them on eighteen wheelers. He, a license plate game veteran, said that didn’t really count.

So on the way back we raised the bar. No trucks. Only cars. To our surprise we still found a versatile assortment of regions. By the time we arrived back in Atlanta, we had reached the 24 mark! But then a sad thought hit me: what do I DO with this list? Is there some sort of prize? Some sort of license plate game grand council I could submit it to?

Unfortunately, there isn’t any of that. So I have to settle for posting it on my blog. Here it is, our truck-free license plate list!

Iowa
Texas
Illinois
Kansas
Missouri
Oklahoma
Nevada
Arkansas
Minnesota
Mississippi
Michigan
Kentucky
Tennessee
North Carolina
Florida
Alabama
Louisiana
New Jersey
Delaware
Virginia
Maryland
Colorado
South Carolina
Georgia

Pretty exciting, huh? We would get extra enthused when we saw one from far away like Delaware. And if you want to add another element of fun to the game, you can do this which I picked up from dad: “Now let’s look at the people in the car. That is what everyone in Delaware looks like.”

So if you’re out on the interstate on a road trip, try to be well-groomed and smile. You’re representing your state.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did the people in the car from New Jersey look like characters from the "Sopranos?"

I often thought that people staring at my car with Texas plates were disappointed. I don't exactly look like a rugged cowboy.

GR

Writinggal said...

Yes, the NJ car did look like a group of mob guys so we didn't stare too long.

We're not representing Georgia too well either. We don't exactly look like Jimmy Carter. Or Usher. Or a peach.