Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2005

Let's Focus on What's Important. TV.

I love TV. It gets a bad rap because apparently it conjures up images of sloth-like behavior, obese kids and ADD. But that’s only if you watch the bad shows. If you concentrate on the high-quality, cerebral programs, not only can you increase your I.Q., you can participate in conversations, offer thoughtful opinions and make controversial statements like, “That gardener’s not that hot…”

Every year TV Guide puts out a cover story called “The Best Show you’re not Watching.” I love that issue because it usually features a show I am watching. So since I obviously have elevated taste, I thought I’d do my own little “The Best Shows you’re not Watching” blog.

But before I reveal my top picks, I want to give some advice to those who think they prefer the page to the tube. You don’t. You love TV. You’re just ashamed for some crazy reason. And next time I say that I love TV, whatever you do, don’t give that standard, cliché, non-TV-watcher response: “I don’t have time to watch TV.” Ugh. Who likes that person? No one. And we’re not going to invite you to our Desperate Housewives watching party with an attitude like that. So, now that we’ve got that out of the way…

Arrested Development: Premiers tonight at 8/7 on Fox (Non-TV Watchers: All TV times are given in Eastern Standard Time so I’m offering the Central time too: 8/7. Get it?)

I know, it’s old news. All the critics love this show. But I had to give it a little plug for the following reasons:

1. I’ve loved Jason Bateman since Silver Spoons.
2. AD is probably the best written show on Television.
3. It’s about a cooky family—who doesn’t love a cooky family?

I’m not sure why this show isn’t catching on. Is it because people are scared they won’t understand it? Don’t worry. There’s a narrator (kind of like the Housewives) who explains it all. And if you still can’t follow it, please refer to reason #1.


What I like about you: Friday nights, 8/7 on the WB. Don’t give me the old, “But I have a life. I go out on Friday nights” excuse. This is the perfect show to watch while you’re getting ready to go out. It’s got Amanda Bynes (what a doll) and our fave, Kelly Taylor. She prefers to be called Jennie Garth now for some reason. They’re sisters and they live in a fancy apartment together. I’m not sure why. They have all these problems with boys and jobs and I’m not sure what else. But I always laugh out loud. Hey, is it possible I only like this show because I’m usually downing wine whilst watching it? Not sure. But you should try it. The wine and the show.

CSI: St. Louis: Special Victims Unit: Trauma and Guts: I think I made this up. But it sounds real, no?


The Comeback: Sunday nights, 10:30/9:30 on HBO. Can’t believe Frank lets us have HBO, right? He doesn’t. We got HBO and Showtime free for two months. I called to cancel the two “premium” channels when our free trial was over (I promise, Frank!) but then they said I could keep HBO for $5 a month. I kept it just for The Comeback. Frank immediately started doing the math: $5 for four episodes is $1.25 per episode. Nope. Not okay. So we got into Entourage too. That’s about $.63 per show. Not bad.

The Comeback stars Lisa Kudrow as a has-been TV actress who just got her second break with a new series. But the show is really about the reality show she’s filming while she’s filming the TV series. It’s a show within a show within a show…I think. At first you won’t like it. You’ll think she’s goofy and quirky and you’ll hate her voice but then for some reason, you’ll get sucked in. I’m like in a trance when I watch this show. It’s brilliant. Or maybe HBO is pumping some sort of fumes into my home. Oh, well. It’s a nice $.63 high.

Although I’m obviously an established TV writer, I’m not privy to pre-screenings of new shows. So I’ll have to check them all out this week, same as everybody else, and get back to you.

But when it comes to TV, you should listen to me—not that girl from E! Remember when she was pleasantly plump and her stint was called “Watch with Wanda?” Then suddenly she got all skinny and demanded that we call her by her real name—Kristin. And the folks at E! totally caved. Instead of saying, “No, Kristin doesn’t lend itself to a catchy segment title. I mean, we can’t say ‘Kickin’ it with Kristin’ now can we?” They said, “Okay. Since you’re skinny we’ll give you anything you want.” And now she’s the host of the lame “Watch with Kristin.” What?

But she does seem to have more of the inside scoop on the shows. She obviously just has more time to watch TV than I do. I wonder if she wants to hang out with me and the WB on Friday nights. Hey, fine with me. As long as she brings the wine.


http://www.eonline.com/Gossip/Kristin/index.html?fdsskristin

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love "What I like.." also, maybe it is the wine while I'm getting ready, but I always get sucked in. Are you making fun of us "Law & Order" junkies?
And hey who says Kristin is not a catchy name.......

ReadBecca said...

Is that hot British guy still on WILAY? I only ever stopped on that show because of him. I see him in a lot of stuff, but I have no idea who he is.

Writinggal said...

Kristin: No, I'm not just making fun of Law & Order junkies. Also CSI and CSI Miami and CSI Idaho Falls junkies. Yes, Kristin is not conducive to catchy titles for watching TV. Sorry.

Rebecca: I believe there is an accented man on there. Holly is always trying to choose between these two guys. Both are hot. I understand her dilemma.

Anonymous said...

Back off on L&O Writinggal! I had a tear in my eye when S. Epatha Merkerson accepted her emmy last night!

Writinggal said...

Well, if they can have so many spinoffs I would like to see some more Laguna Beach. Ideas:

Laguna Beach: the bad side of the beach
Laguna Beach Houses
The Ladies of Laguna (for 20-somethings)

ReadBecca said...

There should be a L&O from the victim's family's perspective. Or from the dead person's perspective. I think the jury one tanked. I never watched it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Thea for sticking up for the L&O fans. I'll admit Criminal Intent is not my favorite, but SVU and the orginal rock. The Jury one was canceled. I love S. Epatha, glad she got some recgonition.

A show about the homes of Laguna would be good, maybe on my other favorite channel, Home & Garden

Writinggal said...

Blog readers, we've sunk so low--about as low as S. Epatha's thank-you speech was down her dress last night.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

H. Elsa