Search This Blog

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Spin Sabotage

Someone in my spin class is trying to destroy me and my good spin reputation.

This person is allegedly turning in comment cards saying that I…

--have bad music
--have music that is too loud
--have too loud of a voice

Let’s pause.

All of this I can handle. You can’t please everybody on music…or volume. I’m not even mildly hurt by this.

But these next few comments are way off:

--I’m not motivating
--I’m BORING
--I’m not communicative

Okay, so most of you have not taken my spin classes but I assure you I am not any of the above three things. In fact, I pride myself on being the exact opposite of them. I’ll state my case:

--Motivation: I tell the class they “look great” are “working so hard” are “doing awesome” about every 30 seconds. I say “you can do it” on a regular basis and “Look! You’re almost to the top of the hill!” People come up after class and say I'm an "Energizer Bunny" and ask, "Were you a cheerleader?" That's how freakin’ motivating I am! And hello? What about my “you guys are on fire” line? What’s more motivating than that? Oh, and I also smile the whole time. Maybe this falls under how I’m not boring either. See next defense.

--Enthusiasm: I run around the room, jumping up and down, clapping for them when they’re doing sprints.

--Communication: I tell them exactly what’s coming up next, how much time we have left on each hill, and how many sprints we’re going to do and for how long. If anything, I think I over-communicate!

While I feel confident in my spin-instructing abilities and the rest of my class participants don’t seem to have any complaints, I am slightly offended by these accusations. Okay, offended enough to rant about it on my blog. But then again, this person continues to come to my class so I can’t be all that bad.

So I’ll keep smiling, keep clapping and keep on communicating. But I will NOT, under any circumstances, tell this person that they are on fire. That’ll show ‘em.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I can just see you, 8.5 months pregnant and jumping around the room telling people they are on fire. I think you should take a video camera to class before you pop so you can later show BS just how amazing you were. Though it wouldn't help to prove any points about the miserable months of pregnancy that all moms have to tell their kids when they're teenagers and horrible. :)

Writinggal said...

Being pregnant gives me even more "inspirational" lines to say to them like, "Excuse me? Am I working out HARDER than you? Trust me, you don't want to work out like a pregnant person! That's just pathetic!"

I tell ya, I'm a motivator.