Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Playing the pregnancy card



A bump can get you a more comfortable seat, a better parking spot, an earlier boarding time on a plane...

...but, apparently, it can't get you out of jury duty.

Me, to the clerk, "I'm due in the three weeks, can I be excused?"

Clerk: "Do you have a note from your doctor?"

"No, I have this," pointing to my enormous belly.

"Have a seat."

But I'm not going to get discouraged. After all, trial by jury is what makes our country so great. And as they reminded us yesterday, it is an HONOR to get chosen for jury duty. Plus, my fellow jurors tell me they're planning on throwing me a baby shower!



4 comments:

Granny Jo said...

So, were you picked for jury duty? And how many library books did you read while waiting? You're looking GREAT -- but could you email the photo to me? I set it as my desktop backgrond from the blog and it was fuzzy. I can't wait until your pregnancy
"expiration" date -- counting the days!
Love,
BS's Granny Jo

Writinggal said...

Sent the picture to you. Hope my belly fits on your screen!

The case was resolved so we were all dismissed. Everybody ran out the door and I was like, "Hey! What about my baby shower?"

Liz said...

I really love that Granny Jo calls herself "BS's Granny Jo." And I should've read this one before I posted on the OTHER one. Good grief.

And WHY would they even call all of you in for Jury Duty if the case was resolvable within one day. That's just a waste of your Atlanta tax dollars.

Writinggal said...

We got a pep talk at the end so we wouldn't "make our friends and neighbors think we had wasted our time."

The judge explained that sometimes it takes going through the jury selection process for the case to resolve. Meaning the defendant took one look at us and said, "I'll take that deal."