Search This Blog

Monday, May 15, 2006

Smoothiegal Does Strawberries




A big apology to our friends the blueberries. On Friday I made my now famous smoothie— you know, Smoothiegal’s Super Banana Blueberry Kashi Surprise? Except I got especially adventurous. I had bought strawberries for my Granbury Girls event last week (to dip in this vanilla yogurt/ginger mix…so good) and I had a bunch left over.

So when I went to make my smoothie, I thought, “Why not add in some strawberries instead of blueberries?” It reminded me of the old strawberry/banana smoothie I used to get at Thirsty’s in the mall. Whatever happened to that place?

I kept every other ingredient the same: milk, ice, banana, flax seed (did I tell you I’ve been adding flax seed now?), a few pieces of Kashi…I even did my smoothie squats (which now have a specific order: ten squats on the “mix” setting, ten squats on the “smooth” setting, five squats on mix, five squats on smooth, done). The only thing I changed was the berry part. And the result was…



Smoothiegal’s Super Strawberry Banana Kashi Flax Seed Surprise!





The only problem is that it looks like a strawberry milkshake. And why is that a problem? Because while it’s good, it ain’t no strawberry milkshake. And I’m not sure I needed the kashi in this one. I’ll keep experimenting and let you know. Oh, and I’m sure you’re wondering if I’m concerned about not reaping all the benefits of blueberries. No way! Not only are strawberries just as good for you as blueberries (antioxidants that fight cancer and heart disease, protect against vision loss AND make you smarter), they’re in season right now.

So even if you don’t make my famous smoothie, grab some strawberries for a snack. And I don’t think drinking a strawberry milkshake counts. But if you do, definitely don't forget your smoothie squats.

3 comments:

Jessi said...

Are you using Milled Flax Seed?

That's good to put in recipes like breads.

Writinggal said...

I'm not sure! I poured it out of the bag and put it in a canister!

I put it on Kashi too. And also in Tricia's bran muffins.

Jessi said...

Ya that's probably it. I used it in whole wheat blueberry muffins. Turned out pretty good.